Menu
kirbyan
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New customers -> EE Or Vodafone?

Thinking of SIM Only - I live and work in areas where EE network reception is bad and Vodafone is great. The area I live in is currently 4G, but one area I work in is a 5G area.

I read on here that if I sign up with my home address in a 4G area then I will be put on a Virgin 4G/EE SIM card and will be later migrated to 5G/Vodafone. 

Is that true, or as a new customer, will they put me on 5G/Vodafone straight away?

24 Months is a long time to be stuck with something that isn't a great fit, so I want to be sure.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customers -> EE Or Vodafone?

Take out a 5G contract and you will be on Vodafone regardless

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

According to press reports, if you take a 5G plan with VM, that'll be Vodafone, if you take a 4G plant then that will be EE until I believe November of this year when all customers will migrate to the Vodafone physical infrastructure. 

Bear in mind that there's further uncertainty about when VM mobile customers will be ported across to O2, given the merger of VM and O2, and it's feasible that might be during a 24 month contract.  But if you're SIM only why tie yourself in for that length of time?  I'm a SIM only customer of IDmobile on 30 day rolling, and for me the main benefit is that I'm not tied in and I provide and support my own handset.  If ID swapped to a network that didn't give me the necessary coverage, I could be with a new network within a week, and the only penalty would be the overlapping contracts for around three-four weeks. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SIM only with good Vodafone Coverage then Voxi. 5G VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling and Visual Voicemail if you have an iPhone.

0 Kudos
kirbyan
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, actually VOXI is currently my first choice, but I am doing my due diligence and checking out the competition. I think with the uncertainty of the o2 merger and my past experience of being a Virgin Media Broadband customer I'm going to head in VOXI's direction. 

Others mentioned 30-day contracts with Virgin Mobile - they don't seem to be offering them at present. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No 30 day with Virgin. 

I think Voxi is £12  to get 5G if you want it but lots included that's not charged to your data allowance

No credit check either. 

0 Kudos
luvmytech
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

I've been asking on here when the transfer over to vodafone from ee would occur as according to coverage maps am in a 5G area but no access currently to 5G with a virgin sim.  .. answer was bacially " don't know will just have to wait and see" 

so I filled in the Voxi online form for a free sim, arrived 2 days later (yesterday) and started using the £20 pound package (45GB data) . 

using a xiamoi redmi note t ( a dual 5g sim phone..ie both sims can be 5G) and on the edge of a coverage area (map says should get good 5G outdoors but not indoors)  the phone indoors bounces between showing 4g+ and 5g . 4g+ speeds are about 25-70mbits/s, 5G 150-200 with the odd test just touching 300. 

also have a giffgaff card in the phone and according to 02 map (giffgaff use02) should get "outdoor only" 5G coverage .. but the 5G icon never drops from from the phone .. and speeds upto 170 on the phone. 

the simplicity of avoiding contracts is a big advantage. No credit check and voxi and giffgaff both have unlimited data pay as you go deals. 

0 Kudos
kirbyan
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So I ordered a VOXI SIM yesterday. 

Quidco are doing some cash back on VOXI so I used that... 

If anyone wants a referral, VOXI do Amazon vouchers for the referrer and referred. Get in touch by DM or email if you want to be referred and have an amazon voucher for joining!

Andy

0 Kudos