Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New Virgin "improved network" SIM has stopped my Samsung GT-S3650 from working

I got a text from Virgin yesterday saying if I didn't put in the new "improved network" SIM I'd been sent, they would stop my phone (Samsung GT-S3650) from making and receiving calls and texts the next working day.

I put the SIM in and received 3 texts saying the new SIM had installed correctly, and contacts, texts and photos were accessible.

Then 60 seconds later the phone screen said "sending", then it switched itself off and restarted. Then 60 seconds later it said "sending" and switched itself off and restarted again, and has done so ever since. I just get chance to read any new texts before it switches off again.

I know it's an old phone (around 10 years), but this shouldn't be happening through no fault of my own.

The phone manual doesn't help.

Can I put my old SIM back in or has Virgin deactivated it?

What else can I do?

(Please don't say get a new phone, there are personal reasons for keeping this one.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Virgin "improved network" SIM has stopped my Samsung GT-S3650 from working

Sorry to bring bad tidings

This is coming up quite frequently. 

These new cards appear to be incompatible with phones running Symban / Java firmware.

There are only 2 options

1. Change your phone

2 Change Network 

As you dont want to change your phone and if you are on PAYG then the second will be the sensible choice with Virgin PAYG likely to be closed in the not too distant future.

The old SIM will no longer work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Virgin "improved network" SIM has stopped my Samsung GT-S3650 from working

Thanks for taking the time and for your help Enlii.

I'm gutted, I should have left the old SIM in and chanced it.

I'm not confident with phones, could you please help me with these follow up questions?

1. If I change my phone and put this new SIM in, will my contacts, texts and photos from my old phone be transferred across with the new SIM? The new SIM does allow me access to contacts, texts and photos on my old phone, but only for a minute before it switches off again, so might the contacts, texts and photos have copied themselves onto the new SIM? My phone doesn't have the internet, and I have tried Bluetooth and a USB lead but no luck. I've written my contacts list out, but I don't know if the photos and texts are saved to SIM or phone.

2. If I get a new phone and when I put the new SIM in I can't see my contacts, texts and photos from my old phone, can I get a cheap SIM only for my old phone which allows me to still have access to my contacts, texts and photos even if I didn't use the phone any more for calls and texting?

3. If I change network, would they do it for such an old phone, could I keep my number, and would this mean that I would still have access to the contacts, texts and photos on my phone?

Many thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The fact that you can see contacts, text and pictures with the new SIM means they are on the phone itself.

The question is getting them off. If there is a Google app you might be able to sync them to that, which is ideal. Doesn't usually do text though.

None of those things will transfer to the new phone simply by inserting the SIM, but again, if it has a Google App you should be able to copy them over.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am having a similar problem with an older Nokia phone and the VM new Sim.

The older phones stored names and numbers on either the SIM card or phone memory or both. 

What happens if you start up the phone with no SIM inside ? - can you still access your numbers ?  If so, just buy a new SIM from a supermarket or Poundshop and insert into the phone. If it accepts it you should be able to copy across your contacts from the phone memory onto the SIM using one of the phone settings. Then take the SIM out and put it into your new phone and copy from the SIM into the new phone's memory,

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Providing you have a computer, or access to one, then you should be able transfer contacts, photos etc from your phone to the computer.

There are various packages avaialable.

https://nokia-pc-phone.en.softonic.com/

https://nokia-pc-suite.en.softonic.com/

https://tunesgo.wondershare.com/pc-suite/how-to-connect-mobile-phone-with-nokia-pc-suite.html

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli, much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Chops, I didn't even know you could start a phone up without a SIM!

Cheers

0 Kudos