Menu
jcelaschi
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Virgin Sim received can't install

Hi 

My father has been sent a new rollout Sim

We prepared his phone and tried the new sim when it arrived - we are getting a network key error on the phone, he has always had a virgin sim but the phone is old and was bought at Tesco's I think.

He is now getting texts to say that his service will be cut off in 28 days and I can get no support from Virgin to assist with this 

I applied for an unlock code but have heard nothing.

My Dad is 88 and doesn't want to change his phone as he has issues with his sight and typing..

Please can anyone tell me how to resolve this issue as he is getting in a state about loosing his number.

Thanks

Heather

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Virgin Sim received can't install

More likely it was bought from ASDA if it worked on the old SIM as both ASDA Mobile and the old Virgin SIM cards were EE based.

Obviously Virgin would not have an unlock code on record seeing the phone did not come from them

You don't say make and model so it is hard to say if a code is available 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jcelaschi
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think this is a Virgin Alcatel Phone could of been bought anywhere it was so long ago - probably Tesco or Asda..

0 Kudos
Kaptain
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You might have thought Virgin would have had handset unlock codes for their own branded products. I have a VM560 and I requested an unlock code, as per letter, more than a week ago and still nothing. If you look at all of the recent messages, the sim changeover has been an absolute shambles.

0 Kudos
jcelaschi
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The handset is branded Virgin Media Alcatel VM 800

I have requested an unlock code from Virgin but have heard nothing and I am in a round to and fro text support message telling me coronavirus means delays and 24 hours turnaround so far no message says anything other than its been transferred!

Absolute shambles this new sim is only required because of Virgin!

0 Kudos
jcelaschi
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK I've managed to talk to a person on 789..  but have been told it can take 10 working days to get an unlock code for the phone and it will arrive via email.

I just hope Virgin don't cut-off the sim and number....

If anyone knows of a faster way to get this code please let me know!

0 Kudos
Kaptain
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have just spent most of the day progressing a similar problem in live chat, as well as chatting with someone from complaints. My current understanding is that despite what is said in the new sim covering letter, if you have a phone with buttons, then Virgin will not obtain a Network unlock code for you. The current policy would be to send out a cheap replacement phone if you make enough fuss. As I have found, the codes which VM suggest might work will simply lock the phone and render it useless.

If you want to keep your old phone, then your only option would appear to take it to a phone shop, or online, and purchase an unlock code. You might think it strange that phone shops have this ability, but VM does not.

You might want to get an unlock price first, then raise a complaint with VM and ask them to pay the bill. If they refuse then I am sure the Ombudsman will view any complaint to them quite favourably, in the light of Ofcom's view on being able to unlock a phone and switch networks. In the meantime, don't forget to accept a free Energiser phone if offered, on the basis that is required until you get your own phone unlocked.

0 Kudos