Menu
doggerbrian
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New Virgin Sim problems- cannot send texts

We were recently forced by Virgin to accept new Sim cards to use in our phones and (like others I believe) are having problems. The phones are Doro big button phones with basic call/text messaging functions (models 409gsm and 410gsm)-yes they are quite old but worked perfectly fine until these new sim cards inserted. 

– We cannot send text messages on either phones although we can make/receive calls and receive text messages.

Furthermore it appears that the setting in the phone to hard reset has disappeared (I thought that may solve the issue). In addition we cannot delete text messages, it just comes up with an error message ‘ Unfinished’ and doesn’t delete. This error message has also appeared when trying to perform other functions.

I have contacted Virgin and followed all their troubleshooting suggestions to no avail, they haven’t been helpful at all - there only suggestion is to send us a further two new sim cards to try but I am very doubtful that this will solve the issue.

I've also tried one of the current new sim cards in another phone (an old Nokia 2330) ... This was also working perfectly with the old Virgin Sim , but doesn't work with the new one -says 'restricted' and then when I try to input the code shown on the plastic card it says invalid.

At the moment I feel like ditching Virgin mobile completely, unlocking the phones and switching to Giff Gaff and making a claim against Virgin for costs involved including lost credit. The guy at Virgin who I spoke to today seemed to agree with me when I suggested that these new sim cards had corrupted our phones, in which case If I need to buy new ones I will expect them to foot the bill.

Just wondering if anybody had similar problem/ can offer suggestions? Thank You

onyaboik
Tuning in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Virgin Sim problems- cannot send texts

exactly the same problems - my guess is that they haven't trialled this on non- smart phones. at the end of their advice if everything has failed is to use your old SIM but this has been de-activated by introducing the new one. Tx Virgin & well done introducing this in the middle of a pandemic where you have no-one to help rectify the problem

doggerbrian
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Glad I'm not the only one. Yes, the old cards were deactivated and ended up in the bin. A letter gone off tonight to Virgin Complaints department,in the meantime I'll have to buy a cheap emergency phone on a different network/number and charge Virgin for it. Really p'd off

doggerbrian
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Replacement replacement SIM cards arrived today...even worse, both don't work at all. ' Sim card damaged or not valid' 😞

0 Kudos
onyaboik
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

it's another 'you couldn't make it up if you tried' scenario

0 Kudos
onyaboik
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've managed to borrow a Smart 'phone and the new SIM works fine in this. It evidently isn't a physical problem with the SIM, they just are not designed for non Smart phones. As I posted earlier - tx Virgin

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Doggerbrian, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm really sorry that you're having an issue using the phone since getting your new SIM, this ins't good. 

I'm really keen to help with this and turn this experience around and get things sorted. 

To do this I'll need to pop you a personal message and grab some details, I'll do this now and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
doggerbrian
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emma, I've replied to your message.

0 Kudos
tish_slat
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

I have the same issue - I'm using a Doro big button phone too.  Did you manage to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi tish_slat, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm really sorry that you're having an issue using the phone since getting your new SIM, this ins't good. 

I'm really keen to help with this and turn this experience around and get things sorted. 

To do this I'll need to pop you a personal message and grab some details, I'll do this now and I look forward to hearing back from you soon  I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos