Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

New Virgin Replacement Sim Card

Hi, have received a new virgin sim card, thought it was for my mobile but it's the wrong number and found it's for my mobile broadband, it has asked for an unlock code which is 9 numbers long, the unlock code in the letter is 15 numbers and don't work, have tried the unblock key on the sim card that don't work either. Huawei Mobile Connect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Virgin Replacement Sim Card

Hi there @dchgv1

Thanks for popping along - sorry about the missed posts; we do advise members to keep to one thread to avoid confusion and duplication where possible.

I apologise that you're having some issues with your new SIM for your mobile broadband. 

Can you advise a few things for us so we can best assist you? 

• What device are you using? Is this a 3rd party device or the portable hub we supply with the mobile broadband?
  • When does the unlock code appear and where? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This sim is for mobile broadband with a usb dongle, NOT a Mobile Phone, and asks for a code which is 8 digits, the code on the letter is 15 digits, i tried the sim my old Iphone 6 and it worked with no code, but now both sim do not work in either the usb stick or wifi unit, this is for a virgin Supplied Huawei mobile connect model E160 HSDPA USB STICK which is 3G mobile Data only, i also use a 3rd party Huawei mobile WIFI unit E531Ws-1, I never had any trouble with Either till now and it not asking for a code cause it not Recognised in the usb stick and in the wifi unit says it has a signal but can't connect.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back @dchgv1 - we understand that this is for mobile broadband; I have not asked about a mobile phone in my reply but I apologise about any confusion my questions may have caused you. 

Can you advise what device is asking for this code and at what point does it ask? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Been Trying For some time to get this working and every person i have contacted say which phone is it for and then disappear when i mention m/broadband.

The usb stick asked for a code when selecting the connect button in the connection software but now it don't
and just says cannot find device but it says it is there in select device E160
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

We do appreciate you popping back @dchgv1 but we're still struggling to understand exactly what device is causing the issue and what the issue actually is. 

Did you request a new SIM for your mobile broadband? 

Did we provide this USB Dongle/Stick?

Have you tried factory resetting the Huawei portable WiFi hub we provided? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The USB Stick was Supplied by Virgin Media Mobile in 2012, I did Not Request a New Sim I Had an Email Saying If I Did Not Change the Sim I would Lose The Service, You did not Supply the WIFI Hub I have Tried Resetting the Hub, There is no Where on the Stick or Software To Reset,

Here's my acc no. [REMOVED] Mobile No. [REMOVED] , Copy of Email Below.

Hi David, We will shortly be sending you a new SIM card in the post, it is important that you swap this within 30 days to keep your service up and running. We understand that your service is provisioned as a Mobile Broadband tariff, this means that your dongle (or similar device) will shortly not be able to connect to the internet should you not swap your SIM to the one we will send you.

You will receive your new SIM shortly, along with step-by-step instructions. Please follow the instructions carefully to ensure you perform the swap successfully, don’t worry your current plan will not change.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon dchgv1,

Thank for your post on our Community Forums and i'm sorry this has not been responded to since Tuesday

How are things looking at the moment, has this been resolved?

Can you tell me if you've been able to try the USB stick in an alternative device to see if that can find the device and if you can obtain the required connection?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning, I have tried the mobile usb stick in my laptop and does not work it says device is not present but it is because it has loaded the software from the stick (virgin mobile home) this worked fine with the old sim but now neither sim works, i have tried the new sim in my 3rd party mobile wifi hub and when i log into the
the mobile hub it shows virgin mobile roaming with a good 3g signal but says it cannot connect try connecting manually, so i press manual connect and it says your profile in invalid, looking on the web says your provider should supply this, it asks for ( Profile Name, APN and Password). This Sim is going in the Bin if not Sorted very soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your device doesn't set them automatically, then try the APN settings for the new SIMs here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/Mobile-APN-settings/ba-p/3629014

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos