Menu
CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New Sim

I have a very old phone - Samsung S3100. (I'm an old lady)  but it is ok for me as I only use it for phone calls and texts..

I have spent 3 days dealing with this new sim.  Now my phone keys are not showing numbers or letters but just an asterisk.  The screen is locked on 'Network lock' and I am asked to enter a password which I cannot do (have never had one) and the keys on the phone are not showing numbers or letters but an asterisk.  I am a Pay as You Go customer - have never been given a password etc.  It looks like I am going to have to buy a new phone (as keys appear to be locked into just showing an asterisk) and also will have lost all my contacts, phone numbers etc.  This has caused me so much time and stress, and I shall have lost all personal and other contacts.  Will not be using Virgin again of course.  I did phone but got no help at all.

Tags (1)
UKDJ
Tuning in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Sim

Virgin Mobile plainly do not care about customer loyalty/service, especially when it comes to their elderly customers.

I have had similar issues trying to deal with this new SIM issue for my elderly Father - I would link to my Posts, but can't work out how to from my smartphone!

It won't solve your lost Contacts issue but my advice, if you don't have too much credit on your phone, is to ditch Virgin Mobile and pick up a free PAYG SIM from another network!

0 Kudos
CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Didn't realise I could get a PAYG sim from another network.
0 Kudos
Fiwen9430
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carol, If your phone is network locked it will only work with EE network SIMs since that is what the old Virgin SIMs use. So you may only be able to switch to EE if you want to keep your existing phone.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that your new SIM replacement hasn't gone as smoothly as we'd like CaroleR and I'd like to take a closer look at it for you. I'll send you a Private Message so I can grab some details, please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Lisa,

Now the phone says 'Network lock'  'Password'.

Neither of which I have..  I was on 'Pay As You Go' (not realising how much the charges had increased.  I have not been on this forum before - where do I find 'Private Message'?

If you can email me at [REMOVED] it would be much easier for me?

If I can't get the phone to work I will lose all my contacts for friends, relations, work, etc etc.

At present when I use the keys the screen is not showing letters or numbers but just a an asterisk so can't put in numbers or letters so cannot use the phone for anything.

As I said it is asking for password for 'Network lock' but since I put in the new sim the keys are just showing asterisk.

Carole Read mobile number [REMOVED]

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi CaroleR,

Your personal details have been removed from this public thread for security but are you able to find a purple envelope  located in the top right hand corner to see my Private Message? If you open it and reply to it, it will keep the details private so I can help with your new SIM issue.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

My phone says 'Phone lock' 'Password'  and I can't open anything.  Dont know what has happened to my contacts - assume they must be on phone?  but can't open phone to see!  I gather I would have to get the phone maker (Samsung) to unlock it?  Is this right?  And they will charge? 

An advice?  I'm an old lady so many important contacts.

Thanks

Carole Read

0 Kudos
CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My phone is locked it says 'Phone lock'  'Password' - so that is more difficult isn't it.?  Don't i have to contact the manufacturer? And they will charge?  

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @CaroleR

Thank you for both your private and public messages - I can only apologise that there is still some confusion over the issue. I will do my best to explain again to you here as well as via the Private Messages I have sent you; maybe a Community Member could assist in explaining in a way you can understand. 

When you get your new handset that we are sending you free of charge - you need you use the new SIM we sent you (it should be purple). This will be your number. People will still be able to call you on the same number you  have had with your old handset. 

In terms of the phone Carole, the reason this was replaced was due to the handset being locked. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to retrieve any numbers if they was not saved to the phone directly. Initially when the first SIM arrived on the Q&A's on the back of the letter it would have advised this code you have entered was not an unlocking code.

I can assure you the number will remain the same with the SIM card you would put into the new handset. As this is a 3rd party handset, you can appreciate we are limited as to what we can do with it.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos