Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim

Well, and bear in mind that I'm just an ordinary person, so I may be spitting in the wind, but on my new sim card there was an 8 digit number that is the PUK code (for unlocking the phone if you enter your 4 digit PIN incorrectly too many times), a 12 digit number that seems to be the serial number of the sim itself (and therefore useless to any of us), and a 4 digit PIN for the sim (to unlock your phone when you turn it on).

Further up you say "This time i was asked for network key.......put in number at bottom left card that sim came on......several times............each time it said "Invalid sim refer to manufacturer."

The way I understand it is (a) the network key is none of the three numbers I describe, (b) the network key is the pw number I described before, (c) if you put in an incorrect network key more than 3 times you effectively lock your phone to whatever network it was last locked to forever, (d) if you bought your phone in any other condition than brand new there's a chance someone else already did (c) and decided to sell the phone without telling you that they'd locked it to virgin (because people are like that).

If (d) applies to you, and it is the network key you're being asked for, VM will try to get you to give them £15? to obtain it, and it probably won't even work. You'll never get a reply to virginmedia.com/unlock. And the ombudsman will back them up (because the ombudsman is a government facade). And so you're screwed (hint: it's cheaper to buy a new phone).

But, as I say, the above is only my understanding, so I may be spitting in the wind.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I bought the phone brand new in 2009 from the official VM store so no it wasn't used before i had it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Same here. But if your phone is asking for a network key, I'd make damn sure the number you're putting in *is* the network key, otherwise you will lock it to virgin forever by repeatedly putting in a number that is not the network key.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough. But i have read several times on these pages that that is the number to put in.

If it isn't then what am i supposed to do? It is VM responsibilty to sort this out.

So many on here have had help or replacement phones. 

So where do i get the network key number from then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

You can try virginmedia.com/unlock but, as numerous people on here (myself included) will tell you, they'll never reply.

Alternatively, search this page for "virgin" - "https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/how-to-unlock-a-phone-a-guide-to-unlocking-mobile-phones/".

That page states that you need to call 789 or 0345 6000 789 which, again, numerous people on here will tell you is useless.

That page also states the £15 I quoted (which is probably where I got it from before) but it also says that after a year of owning the phone they'll give you the unlock code for free but, of course, that means using virginmedia.com/unlock or 789 and you've gone around in a full circle to get back where you started...welcome to VM customer help.

You say many on here have had replacement phones. I doubt that is true (although I've seen those posts too). I would imagine they are phones with a new full term contract, not free PAYG phones. But perhaps that's just me being sceptical.

The only other thing I can suggest is going to a search engine and searching for "network unlock key". You'll find lots and lots of websites that promise to give you the unlock key for a fee. The problem is, some number of them are known to be phishing sites (i.e. they are after your bank details), so you're playing russian roulette.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes i filled out form on virginmedia.com/unlock  and have heard nothing.

I have also spent too long. since Monday. trying to sort this out

Visited so many unlocking sites but not going down that road.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

I think VM have lost me as a customer but i'm sure they couldn't give a damn. Old users on PAYG don't bring in alot of money do they! This is a good way to cull us i suppose.

Once again thank you for taking the trouble to reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Really sorry for the delay in getting back to you @izamanic

I'll reply to your personal message now 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Emma_C, you are a puppet account right? I mean, you are like a ghost writer with numerous people spread out over years using the same account. How many people have you actually helped? You always send people private messages so that no one else can see them. Whenever people mention the account of Emma_C in the public forum they always say you did nothing. You did nothing to help me either...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Another update!!

My old sim has now become invalid as it seems VM in there wisdom have deactivated it. 

The new one doesn't work no matter what i am told to do with it.............so hey lets stop the old one just to make the situation even more of a farce.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi @whatever639

I'm truly sorry you feel that way and that I don't help on the forums. 

Most SIM issues do need to be resolved via personal message, this is so I can pass data protection and either provide an unlocking code or replacement handset. This isn't something I can do publicly as we need to keep your personal details safe. 

I'd also like to apologise that I didn't get back to your PM, I've had a look now and can see that this was because others posted in the same thread and it did become a little lost. 

I will reply to it now and hopefully we can get things sorted 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos