Menu
Lynn001
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Sim

Virgin Media texted me yesterday to tell me I'm getting a new sim card - with no real explanation why. Then texted me several times again this morning to thank me for my order (despite the fact I didn't request a new sim) and tell me they've set up a mailbox for my number (my number already exists so what this mailbox is, I have no idea). Now I've received an email to say my order is winging it's way to an address in the UK where I'm not currently residing, and cannot get to given it has just been locked down due to COVID-19. I cannot get through to a human being on the phone, nor get any answer via the website, so I'm hoping someone can get back to me via this community. Can you please explain why I'm getting a new sim, and help change the address that it's being sent to?

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Sim

You're getting a new sim because virgin are migrating their network to a new provider, the mailbox is voicemail, to change the address you can either wait for a virgin rep here or phone up, quite soon your phone will stop working if you don't change the sim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lynn001
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Danny, normally Virgin are good at communicating changes to the service but I've no received no communication at all about this sim migration, other than the brief texts and email already mentioned. Given I have no information about the ramifications of the migration (e.g. will I be able to keep my number? Will the new sim fit my type of phone?), and based on other posts I'm currently reading through (will Virgin actually send out a PAC if the migration is a no go), I'd really appreciate if someone from the company couuld respond to me directly.

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will keep your number, the sim can be 3 different sizes (it is like a one dimensional Russian doll) the new sim may not work with some very old phones

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lynn001
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've now received an automated email from Virgin Media containing some info about the sim migration. Thank you for that. Between the info there and Danny's replies, I think that covers most of my questions presently. I've also now been able to make a change online to my contact address. Assuming the sim card's not been despatched yet, then it should hopefully get delivered to the right place. Cheers for the assistance.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lynn001

Hope this message finds you well

Just a quick one to see if you have received the new sim yet?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Lynn001
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

The sim card had been despatched to the other address before I was able to change the contact details online. However, I've got it sent here now. Since my phone is crucial to my work, I'll wait until the weekend before trying out the new sim, just in case anything goes wrong.

Thanks,

Lynn

0 Kudos