Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New Sim while abroad in HK

My SIM card have died on me and have not been receiving calls or text while I am now in Hong Kong.  It was working ok before.

I have received a new SIM card since and this have taken about 2 months to be re-shipped over to me in Hong Kong during covid.  (Stranded here work wise)

However, when I inserted the new sim to my iPhone 11 Pro, it is not showing a service for roaming (I have switched on data roaming and call roaming).  Secondly, I tried calling my number and I hear the message that my phone is switched off.  I think the SIM card need to somehow reconnect to Virgin Network to re-authenticate.  However, how can this happen?  It cannot connect to the virgin partnering network now since its not re-authenticated yet.  So that is probably why I do not have a service connection.

There is nothing wrong with my phone as I have used local PAYG cards, but frustrated as people calling my number cannot reach me (nor my WhatsApp when I am not on WiFi)

Please help to make it work.  Makes my life easier while stranded here during Covid.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim while abroad in HK

Hello

There are two issues I see that is causing the problem.

1) If a replacement SIM isn't activated within 30 days it is decommissioned.

2) I am afraid that even if you could get a SIM quicker than 30 days, a SIM can only be activated when it is connected to its home network, it isn't possible to activate a SIM when roaming.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim while abroad in HK

The advice on here from the team is to get them to send the SIM to a UK address and someone who can activate it for you. They can then forward the replacement to you ready to go.

They seem to have relaxed the 30 day, but they can't do anything about activation abroad.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos