Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New Sim on 2G mobile phone.

My husband is not technology minded and has a 2g phone, only makes calls and texts. Suits his needs.

You sent a new sim a couple of months ago which did not work in this phone as it needs a pin and none of the numbers in the paperwork with the new sim work.  Phoned customer services who said phone is locked by EE.  Went onto EE they do not recognise the number as this number is a Virgin number so couldn't help. This phone was bought unlocked anyway.   Phoned the Virgin customer services again who said that the sim is not compatible with the 2G phone and to put the old sim back in.  The old sim works fine no pin required.

Today received another new sim from Virgin.  Can someone tell their customer services that this new purple Virgin sim does not work in this 2G phone and to stop sending out new sims as it is pointless and a waste of time and money.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim on 2G mobile phone.

There are a few older phones that are not compatible with the new cards. However, I still would not rule out the phone being network locked from your description; some years back most phones were. It sounds as if the PIN you mentioned was actually a network unlock code. If it is locked it would have to be locked to EE or the old Orange or T-Moble for it to accept the old EE based SIM.

Can you remember where it was bought and on what network it originally ran?

That aside the old SIM will still work for now and the only cut off date I have is sometime this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The phone is a Samsung E1150i small flip phone, purchased about 10 years ago. This phone was definitely unlocked. It has only ever had the Virgin sim card. There is no internet or bluetooth on this phone. It only makes text or calls. It is small which is why my husband used it, easy to put in his pocket while working to receive calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK, checking it out it runs on Symbian / Java firmware. 

Judging by posts on here that software does not play nice with the new SIM cards.

If you don't want to get rid of the phone you will probably have to switch networks. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the replies.  Thinking back my husband thinks originally he had Orange Pay as you Go on this phone.  Not sure if he wants to upgrade the phone or not at the moment due to the lockdown.  Need to source out a compatible phone that is not too technical, he's not interested in Facebook or selfies.

We will keep the new sim in case he does switch phones, hopefully we will have warning when the sim stops working.

In the meantime please can Virgin not send any more sim cards.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If your husband is right and it was Orange PAYG then all their PAYG phones were locked then. Orange of course became EE when the joined with T Mobile. It is very likely that EE no longer have records of the phone.

Of course it would have ran on the old EE based SIM cards from the word go, and it is only when these none EE based SIM cards came out that the problem arised.

That does limit your options if you decide to use anothet network. EE, BT, Plusnet and ASDA are the ones with EE based cards. Three is out as they have no 2G as is O2  / Tesco and Vodafone

Doro 6030 Flip Mobile Phone - seems to have good write ups

0 Kudos