Menu
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New Sim; no prior information

My wife and I have Virgin pay-as-you-go accounts with relatively old mobile phones. Mine is an ancient Nokia 3410, regarded as vintage these days, but it still works to make calls and text. Until yesterday, when my wife received a text, we knew nothing of the SIM change and initially thought it might be a scam. The lack of communication from a communication company is mind-blowing but sadly not unusual in this industry. Today, my wife received a second confusing message saying that her 'order' was on its way. No 'order' was made but I have reassured her that it is Virgin-speak for 'you are getting this whether you ordered it or not'. 

Meanwhile, I am wondering if my ancient Nokia 3414 will qualify for a new SIM or whether a new SIM will work with a new one. Is this Virgin's way of saying upgrade or push off?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim; no prior information

Certainly you have to change SIM if you want to keep going. The old ones were rebadged EE SIM cards and will be switched off. 

Up to you if you want to take this opportunity to move but remember these older PAYG phones are liable to be network locked so you will need to move to an EE based network 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I simply wanted to know what was happening in advance. I personally have had no message from Virgin to say whether my phone will get a new SIM and whether a new one will work on its network or, indeed, on any other. So, I am assuming I will eventually be contacted and sent a new SIM. I would have thought that was a reasonable expectation for a customer who has been around since mobiles came in large red boxes with CDs and books of instructions.

I just want my mobile to work as it has with no hassle. I am doubtful that even this low expectation will be fulfilled.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ahrbee, 

I'm really sorry for any upset or concern that these messages have caused regarding the new SIM cards. 

We've been trying for a while to move all of our customers over to our new SIM cards to ensure you continue to get the best from our service whilst we make some changes. 

Therefore we have been sending SIM cards to customers who haven't yet had a new one and sending text messages if they've not yet activated the new SIM card to make sure the services aren't stopped. 

In this case we will have sent the SIM card for you, all you need to do is activate it as per the instructions it comes with. In the case that the phone comes up as locked then we'd also be able to try and get you an unlocking code however there are some much older phones that the SIM cards won't be supported by. We'd look into this as a case by case however and get this resolved. 

I can only apologise that you've not heard about this until now and I can assure you we'll be here to help each step of the way. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Martiniere
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have an old Motorola clam mobile pay-as-you-go phone that I only switch on when I go out, otherwise it is turned off and was surprised to get an e-mail from VM telling me my order for a new sim card was on its way.  I never ordered a sim card and do not want one.  This is no way to treat their customers, presenting them with a fait accompli.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martiniere,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry for any inconvenience with this. 

We have upgraded our system and so this does require a new sim card to ensure you have access to these. 

^Martin

0 Kudos