Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New Sim=Poor treatment of 80yr old

My 80yr old father was sent a new sim for his mobile phone (an old Nokia 100) which does not work, and when he tried to replace the original sim the phone no longer worked. He is very isolated with no family living nearby so I am trying to help him remotely. When he (and then me) tried to phone for help the automated message says "MOST people prefer to chat by text press 1 for the link" This actually does not mean "MOST people" it means "WE INSIST" as if you don't press 1 they disconnect you!!! Obviously as the new sim has effectively broken my Dads phone text messages are NOT POSSIBLE and the only way I seem to have of getting answers is by signing up to this forum myself!! I read the forum question regarding another Nokia 100 and have found out that my Dad will need to buy a new phone (which on a state pension he can ill afford). I used to have a Virgin Mobile account which I cancelled due to the poor customer service and would advise my Dad to do the same, however, during a period of illness he mistakingly added over £50 to his pay as you go service and is now afraid that if he doesn't sort his sim problem he will lose that credit.

As usual it seems that the only way to get help these days is by the kind, generous individuals on these community forums not by the companies that are making the money! So at last I come to my question for you lovely people: Can you recommend a large button, low tech phone (my Dad does not have wi-fi) that would be compatible with this new sim?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Sim=Poor treatment of 80yr old

Hi Bernie-jo30,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry that your dad is having problems with his new sim and his current phone. I can understand the situation that he's in, so don't worry I'm going to help you as best as I can. 

I'll need to take some of his details and pass security, so I'll pop you a private message now and we can take it from there 🙂

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well I'm gladly having to EAT MY WORDS as the FABULOUS Melissa_F has sorted everything for my Dad responding quickly to my message, phoning him personally on his landline and sending him a new free phone!! I'm so pleased that his vulnerability as an isolated pensioner has been taken seriously and my faith in customer services has been restored! Thank you!

😊👍👏

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, you're very kind 🙂

He was honestly a pleasure to speak with, so if he needs anything more just let me know.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa,

I'm so sorry to bother you again, but I'm afraid that my Dad is still having problems setting up his new phone with the new sim. If you had time to give him one more call, we would be so grateful. He is hard of hearing but tries to stay near the phone in the afternoons after 2pm. His landline: [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

I realise this really is going the extra mile, I hope you can help,

Bernie

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please don't post phone numbers on public forums 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Crumbs I thought was still in a private chat how do i remove it!!??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Bernie-jo30 wrote:

Crumbs I thought was still in a private chat how do i remove it!!??

I flagged the post for a moderator who has edited out the number

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos