Menu
Burmey
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New Sim - 10 days to change or service lost

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know whether the new SIM card that Virgin are pestering me to use will work in a 2G intercom system?

They are threatening to disconnect the current sim if I don't install the new one within 10 days - will this really happen or is it an empty threat to force me to move over to the new sim?

Basically, if I insert the new sim and it doesn't work, 6 houses can no longer gain access to their houses through the intercom system so it's a risk I can't take.

Also, does anyone now if the new sims can have data /phone numbers saved to the actual sim? I understand a lot of sims these days have no longer got that ability.

Help please

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim - 10 days to change or service lost

Yes, you will be cut off.

Two things that could be a problem

The gate firmware will only accept EE based SIM cards so would need some sort of unlocking.

The new SIM will require activating in a phone first.

I'll escalate this as it seems Virgin has forgotten about these sort of situations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Burmey
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I don't believe the gate 2g is tied to EE because I can get a giff gaff sim to work, but just can't save speed dial numbers (for the house numbers) to save on the sim. 

Just need to check the the sim Virgin have sent me will allow me to save speed dial numbers (and will work on an old Nokia phone as that is how I have to set up the speed dial numbers in the first place).

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Burmey,

We wouldn't want you and your neighbours to be without a working gate and understand the concern. If the new SIM works in the old Nokia, you should be able to set up the speed dial numbers as you did so previously however we'll need to see if the Nokia phone requires an unlock code for the new SIM.

I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can get more information from you to take a look. Please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Burmey,

Thanks for your Private Message. I've asked a colleague to take a look at your posts and he's spoken to someone who is part of the Mobile Projects Team. They've confirmed that the SIM will work on the 2g platform as they've tried it and that you should also be able to save the numbers on the new SIM.

I hope the above answers your queries but if not please post back.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos