Menu
Lee_Enfield
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New SIM

I received my letter from Virgin, including a new SIM card for my mobile phone and the letter had two numeric codes on it.

When I inserted my new SIM, a message immediately came up:  'Network Key'.

What is that message referring to?

(I tried entering the code numbers, but no joy.)

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM

This should be the case, have you been able to unlock the handset for use of the SIM card since your post? 

If not, let us know and we can assist further.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Lee_Enfield
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

I replaced the original SIM card back in the handset and that has worked fine for the time being.

The problem is as soon as I try to use the new SIM card and turn on the phone, I get a message:  "Network Key?"

To compound the issue, I have also tried phoning up and using a chat line and when they ask me to enter my phone password, it seems to fail, but when I went through 150 (on my landlline), my password seemed to work. Perhaps I should ask whoever it is to enter upper case for the password (although some of the password is numeric !).

Grateful for any assistance on this.

Thank you.

Best Wishes, David

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update, I'll pop you over a private message so we can try pass this security and look further into this for you.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Lee_Enfield
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

Unfortunately the new SIM did not work either - same message as the other new SIM. The SIM position is also important - if the SIM is not correctly in position a message appears about that. If the new SIM is in the correct position, then I go back to the message: 'Network Key' again !

Boo-Hoo...

Thanks very much for your help anyway. Would it be worth trying a completely different phone and number? The old mobile only cost me about £25 some years ago now and I am happy to change it. Perhaps I can even return it back to Virgin so that they can re-use any spare parts?

What  do you think?

Best Wishes,

David Lee

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi David Lee, thanks for getting back to us - sorry to hear that the SIM replacement hasn't worked in your handset.

We may be able to help further with this - I'll get in touch via PM to confirm a few details and hope to hear back from you soon.

Tom 

Lee_Enfield
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom

I was having some trouble with my new SIMs - instead of the Code 1 and Code 2 message that should have appeared according to your new SIM letter, I only had a 'Network Key?' message, which I did not know how to handle.

A few weeks ago, you (or Emily) stated that I would receive another phone, similar to the Alcatel non-smartphone that I had in order to try the new SIM, but I never received one. I think it was to be an Energiser or Nokia phone and I did not mind which one was sent.

What happened about that?

Thank you.

Stay well,

David Lee

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lee_Enfield

Thankyou for replying 

Can I please ask how long it was when the replacement phone was ordered 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Lee_Enfield
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth

Hmmm - must be a few weeks ago now...

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee

Would you be happy for me to credit the cost of a replacement phone £20 so you can pop out and purchase one 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos