Menu
Nimbus73
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New SIM works great, but also received a "Dummy" SIM that does nothing???

Hi,

I recently received a new PAYG SIM from Virgin, & inserted it in my brand new unlocked Nokia 105 phone, which went perfectly! 

However, today I received a "Dummy" SIM saying that I need to insert it & follow the instructions, so as to allow data roaming, should I travel abroad.

I followed the instructions, inserted the dummy SIM, but it did not ask for an "unlock code"

Please can you advise?

Here is a copy of the letter, SIM, & instructions.

Many thanks.

Dummy SIM letterDummy SIM letter

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM works great, but also received a "Dummy" SIM that does nothing???

Hi there @Nimbus73

Thanks so much for your post - have you now popped your original SIM back into the handset and is all still working ok? 

In regard to the letter, we have escalated this for more information as we're not 100% what the Dummy SIM does. We shall keep you posted as and when we have any update for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Nimbus73
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your reply, & taking the time to help.

I removed the dummy SIM and re-inserted the new SIM & touchwood, everything is still working fine. I even tried ringing my landline number from this mobile and it connected ok.

Thanks again, & I look forward to hearing from you.

Ian 

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Glad to hear everything is working as it should!

Had an update from Katie, and we've been advised the Dummy SIM is nothing to worry about 🙂

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
vmrrwm
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Replying on this as I also received a copy of the letter and dummy sim (Monday 7th). After the New SIM failed to work in my existing phone and was invalid in the previous I have been reluctant to insert the dummy SIM into either my new feature phone (purchased to replace the previous phones that were essentially just paperweights post New-SIM), or either of the previous phones which failed with the New SIM.

As the phone it's for is only a feature phone with limited internet connectivity; is this "unlocking data roaming" actually required? If it is, would the dummy sim and unlock codes work on any phone I insert it into? (As the letter says there is no network connectivity, it cannot be contacting to anything outside of the phone to turn on the data roaming - so is this some sort of "magic unlock" SIM that works in everything and anything?) Previously roaming for calls/ SMS/ MMS would have been turned on for my number so what additional magic does this SIM/ unlock do?

And what are the consequences of me doing nothing?

0 Kudos
Nimbus73
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply!

@Alex_RM wrote:

Had an update from Katie, and we've been advised the Dummy SIM is nothing to worry about 🙂

With all due respect though, this does not answer my initial question. Could you please tell me, does this mean my phone will or will not work abroad now? I followed the instructions, but my phone did not ask me to type in the long numerical code supplied?

Thanks again,

Ian.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ian,

If the phone did not ask for an unlock code, then it would mean the phone is already provisioned for roaming. Not the account or the SIM but the handset itself. 

Some handsets lock when abroad, the dummy SIM makes sure the handset will not do this. You just need to activate roaming via your online account.

Alex_Rm