cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM - why?

philguk
On our wavelength

I just received an email out of the blue from Virgin telling me “my new SIM is on its way”

I have not asked for a new SIM so what gives?

I was hoping to find a chat service for Virgin as this is not mega-urgent, but if chat exists it’s VERY well hidden!

Anyone else getting (or has got) a new unexpected SIM recently?

Im off to the US soon (I hope) so really need to make sure my phone works when I get there!

Cheers

20 REPLIES 20

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi philguk,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry for any worry an email advising a SIM is on the way may have caused, as part of our migration over to Vodafone we are sending all customers with the older SIMs a new one.

If you have any issues once received please let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Regards

Paul.

philguk
On our wavelength

Ahhh, makes sense. As I have two numbers in this account I assume another SIM is in the works somewhere??

And the sMail suggests I have 14 days to switch SIMs so I may keep the old one e for my imminent trip…..

Hi philguk,

If the SIM is needed on both these will be sent, you are correct in them needing to be in the phone within 14 Days.

Regards

Paul.

So, a similar query - I've received and installed a new SIM in one of our phones, but haven't been informed yet about a new SIM for our other phone.  Also, I have an, as yet, unused SIM which came as part of a package offer, will this also be updated?

Hi Ads677,
Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we may send the SIMs at different times or if one is newer it may already be on Vodafone the same with the one that cam with the package.

Regards

Paul.

I too have just received a communication advising me of a new SIM arriving.

I use this in a Mi-Fi device in a caravan. This has no display nor a keypad. How do I activate it and what advantages/disadvantages am I likely to see, assuming it works?

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ChrisH2,

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to the Community Forums! 

Unfortunately, we're unable to directly comment on any advantages/disadvantages of a 3rd-party technology such as a Mi-Fi Device as we do not test our SIM products with these, or support them. However, in regards to the SIM Activation, we will be able to do this on the Forums - just let us know once you've received it.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisH2 wrote:

I too have just received a communication advising me of a new SIM arriving.

I use this in a Mi-Fi device in a caravan. This has no display nor a keypad. How do I activate it and what advantages/disadvantages am I likely to see, assuming it works?

Your new SIM will be on O2 so I would check reception at your van

You could put the SIM in a phone to activate. Although allowed in MiFi devices standard Virgin SIM cards are basically designed for phone use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just received another new sim for one of our phones, the same one that had a new one in February but nothing for the other phone.

Should everyone one be getting a new sim?

I don't suppose virgin will change their computer generated email but it would be better if it said they were sending an upgrade not one that starts Your order's on its way! when I've not ordered anything