Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New SIM - stuck on roaming and phone number unknown

Installed my new SIM on Sunday afternoon. A few minutes later, I received a text saying "Woohoo, your new SIM is up and running. Your old SIM won't work anymore."

OK, fair game. But while I seem to be able to detect various mobile networks with the phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 - ancient, but it serves my needs), I now have an unknown number in my status, the phone seems to be stuck on roaming whenever I tap the Virgin ap or check the network status and the top-up (I'm on PAYG) service on the Virgin ap has vanished (It just states "Roaming"), so I can't check how much credit I've got. It's around £18 IIRC.

But I'm now also getting additional texts telling me that my service will be disrupted if I don't swap my SIM, and the phone will now only let me make emergency calls. I don't get this, because I *have* swapped to the new SIM. It's driving me doolally.

Can *anyone* get to the bottom of this? I've done everything as per instructions.

Edited to add: I've done all the obvious things like remove the SIM, clean the contacts, reinstall, reboot phone, go outside for better reception (network can be a bit shonky here).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM - stuck on roaming and phone number unknown

Hi Reynard, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am really sorry you've had issues since you swapped your SIM over. I would like to take a closer look.  To enable me to do so, I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The Galaxy S2 will always show a roaming symbol with these new SIM cards. It is a quirk of oldish versions of Android and the way the new SIM cards work. It can be safely ignored.

However, if that effects the app I'm not sure if there is a workaround.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the offer of help, it's appreciated. 👍

Old software quirks can't be helped, but yes, the ap is shonked. When I tap on it, it just says "roaming" as opposed to the usual triumvirate of "top-up, services, help."

FYI it's a PAYG rather than contract. I'm not a big user of my phone as I do most of my communication and internetting via the 'pooter.

0 Kudos