Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New SIM not working

Got my new SIM today that VM insist we all update to. It should supposedly take 'no longer than 10 minutes'

After phoning them I was assured that if I tried again it would be working....nothing!

After 2 hours on their chat facility I got no further toward and was then dumped from the chat (conveniently at 17.30) when no manager was available, leaving me unable to even cancel my contract. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. To be fair,I  was offered £10 and a new SIM by post but there is no guarantee that would work either and in the meantime my old SIM was deactivated.

I rely on my phone for work and I'm left without any form of contact now for God knows how long.

Virgin have clearly known about SIM issues for at least 2 years now why haven't they sorted it out?

Why couldn't they have warned people this might have happened? if they are aware of the problem then they could have at least had time to make alternative plans

It's an old phone but was unlocked properly using a puk code a year or more ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM not working

A PUK code does not unlock a phone

If you want to leave and still use your present phone then you need to be on a network that is EE based. Plusnet and Asda are two I can mention. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Settling in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok thanks for that. Is the PUK more about transferring an old number?

Why do I need an ee based network? I thought once a phone was 'unlocked' you were free to use it on any network, provided the original contract had expired?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Should do if unlocked, but you say it is not working on the new Virgin SIM which raises questions in my mind.

If anyone you know has a Vodafone or O2 SIM and the like you could try, that would prove it.

You need a PAC code of you want to move and take your number with you.

A PUK code is to unlock your sim if you have put in the 4 digit pin unlocking code more than a set number of times.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Settling in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking of a PAC not a PUK. My bad.

Maybe the shop that was supposed to unlock it didn't, though I would have thought it would have to be unlocked to get a PAC.

Could be a duff SIM for all I know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Phone does not need to be unlocked to get a PAC code from you existing network. It's Valid for 30 days. You just need to give it to your new network once you have their sim up and running.

Highlighted
Settling in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was told by the shop it had been unlocked, but I think the phone was originally on ee so it's possible it hasn't been unlocked.

It's certainly an avenue worth exploring.

Thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated even though I'm not much further forward 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, also thanks Enlli for your help with this!

We did have an area outage over our mobile network a few days ago, which may have been the cause of this. However if you're still experiencing the issue we may need to send a replacement SIM card, have you already spoken to an agent about sending one? 

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem at the moment.Very difficult to get good of anyone to sort this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm having exactly the same problem.  My old sim worked perfectly fine on my iphone 6S- swapped to new sim - phone now says No sim.   It may be an easy issue to resolve but I've spent hours over the last week getting sent around in circles with the self help topics and trying to get through on messenger.  In fact I'm hanging on again now and have been for over an hour.  I got through successfully once and was told by the adviser that as the hand set was my own and not supplied by virgin - they couldn't help.  Even though online their information says 'Don't worry if you don't have a Virgin Media handset, your new SIM will still work.'  I appreciate these are unprecedented times but I'm getting so frustrated now I'm on the point of simply cancelling.

It looks like lots of people are having problems with this roll out according to the messages posted on here.  Has anybody actually been successful in getting their issue successfully resolved?

0 Kudos