Menu
CASS_SMITH
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New SIM not valid

My grandmother has been sent a new SIM from Virgin Media. I have tried inserting it into her phone, however it is coming up with the message ‘SIM not valid’. It does not ask for an unlocking code or anything else. Her phone is a NOKIA 2310. I have compared the previous SIM and new one and the metallic section on the back of the SIMs are different shapes (old SIM is more circular) which makes me think it isn’t compatible. I have also seen other posts which relate to NOKIA phones and new SIMs not working.

What can Virgin Media do to resolve this issue for my 89 year old grandmother please?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM not valid

SIM not Valid on that model will mean the phone is network locked. 

If the phone was bought from Virgin originally there may be an unblocking / unlocking key printed on the red card near the bottom left or on the letter. Typically 8 to 10 digits.

Let me know if you have it and I'll look up the unlocking method 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CASS_SMITH
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes there is 'your personal unblocking key'.  I'm unsure if the phone was bought from virgin but it is possible.

The previous SIM was also virgin media so I'm not sure as to it would work one and not the other.

Thank you for your help 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Leave the SIM out then enter the following.

#pw+CODE+7# and press OK

It should unlock. (Note some Nokia phones need +1# at the end

• The letter P appears after pressing 3 times quickly the button star (*)
  • The letter W appear after press 4 times quickly the button star (*)
  • The letter + appear after press 2 times quickly the button star (*)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cath23
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem today with my Nokia 2310.  Your fix, Enlli, solved it - using the 15 digit unlock code on the letter sent with the new SIM and +7# as the terminator.  It took a few a attempts as if you hesitate while typing it times out.  The new SIM now works OK.  Thank you so much for your help, enlli - and shame on Virgin for complete absence of info and means of contact.

0 Kudos
Y0ungn1ck
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I too used the unlocking code given in the letter, not on the card, wth the appropriate start and finish symbols and it finally unlocked after timing out on two occasions.  

0 Kudos