Menu
taybodger
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New SIM locked

I have an old Alcatel "feature" phone passed on by my father last year. He died in April. A letter arrived addressed to him with the new SIM which I duly inserted. It's locked. There's no code on the letter. The old Virgin SIM works in a slightly newer (2011) Samsung T-Mobile phone, which he never used. Virgin do not recognise either IMEI number. Are these phones too old? Or should I ask EE to unlock one or both with the new card? Virgin failed to respond to the completed form asking for the unlock code.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM locked

EE won't unlock them unless they were purchased direct from them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
taybodger
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Does that apply to the Samsung T-Mobile
0 Kudos
taybodger
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You had a conversation on this in March. See the outcome.
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi taybodger,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry you're having an issue with the new SIM, can you please confirm where the phone was originally from?

Alex_Rm

taybodger
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't know. My father bought it for my mother and then she gave it to me a year or so before she died in 2012. I rarely used it, but took to carrying it in 2018 when I assumed POA for my father. He died in April from Covid 19. The letter containing the new SIM was addressed to him. I am now Executor for his Estate and it would be useful to have working mobile phone. There is over £9.00 pay as you go credit on the account.

He bought the Samsung T-Mobile n 2011 but never used it. It works with the old Virgin SIM in it but not the T-Mobile SIM, tho' not locked.

I simply need the unlock code for the new Virgin SIM. Should I leave the old card in or the new?

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi taybodger,

Thanks for coming back to us and our sincere condolences. 

In regards to the handset, we would need you to go to the retailer who sold you the phone I'm afraid. This is because they will be where the unlock code can be obtained.

If the old SIM works in the handset, then you're welcome to continue to use this for the time being, but this will eventually cease to work.

I would also advise calling our bereavements team to advise them of your Father's passing on 0800 952 2302 and we put the account into your name, if you wish to do so.

We could also seek the possibility of transferring any credit from your Father's account to an active account in your name, if that is a worthwhile option for you

Kindest regards,

David 

0 Kudos
taybodger
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So you are saying that you can't unlock the new SIM at all, despite it being locked to the Virgin network?

The Samsung Phone appears unlocked as the old Virgin card makes it fully functional (on the Virgin network). With it's original T- Moblie SIM it shows  an "EE  Welcome" screen during start up and appears to work, except I can't make a call, which may be due to lack of credit.

Should I just abandon the Alcatel handset?

Is the new SIM any use at all?

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It sounds as though the handset would need to be unlocked to be compatible with the new SIM, sorry taybodger.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
taybodger
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can see the Samsung handset IS unlocked. The Alcatel is NOT. I still need to activate the new SIM.

0 Kudos