Menu
henry_pond
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New SIM locked in blackberry, but not Nokia

New sim received for phone (blackberry 9300).  After power-up, progress bar shows for "security software verification", then message "Your current sim card requires an unlock code. Would you like to unlock it?"

If enter no then phone works but with "Invalid SIM card" message at top of screen.

If enter Yes, then get prompt "enter network MEP code (n left)"

Entered the 16 digit unlock code from the letter that came with the new SIM, but it is not is not accepted.

I tried the SIM in an old unlocked Nokia, and it appears to work fine (welcome message and be ready for mms activation messages)

Back in the blackberry, still asking for MEP code. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM locked in blackberry, but not Nokia

Was this the phone you had when you joined Virgin, or did you take out a Virgin contract with this phone? It maybe they have something different on their records, hence the unlock code not working.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
henry_pond
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The phone was an upgrade, supplied by VM.  So not the original, but they should know.

0 Kudos
henry_pond
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh - and it's a PAYG SIM.

0 Kudos
henry_pond
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My online VM account shows that they know I have the blackberry, but there's no imei recorded against it.

I've tried the method you've posed elsewhere for unlocking, but the blackberry (qwerty keyboard) insists on converting the initial "#" to a Q when i enter the "p", so I can't enter the code in the format you've suggested.

0 Kudos