Menu
joepass
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New SIM in old Nokia 1100 - it worked!

I was sent a new SIM card ten days ago for my ancient 2006 PAYG Nokia 1100, and have been putting off swapping it, having read so many tales of woe on here.

This morning, I finally bit the bullet and guess what - it just worked!

On powering up the phone, it asked for the time and date, and shortly after, a text message arrived to say it was working.  No unlock codes, no fuss. Where it used to say Virgin on the home page, it now says T-Mobile UK.

I bought the phone from Carphone Warehouse in 2006 and can only assume it was sold unlocked.  I managed to find the original box and receipt and fwiw the stock label and shop product code had nothing to suggest the phone was tied to Virgin.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a bit of good news, along with the info that unlock issues aside, an ancient PAYG Nokia 1100 can still work with the new SIM.

joe

0 Kudos
joepass
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM in old Nokia 1100 - it worked!

Just to add - the phone was bought along with a Virgin SIM, which I think was fitted in the Carphone Warehouse shop at time of purchase. I think the Nokia 1100 was available on a few networks, I chose Virgin as the SIM card came with a 'free' £5 airtime voucher!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know.

I have managed to help a couple of people unlock that model 

In reality it is the Java based Nokia phones that cause problems which are slightly later than the model you have.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
joepass
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

One other thing - the letter that came with the new SIM did not contain a network unlock code (*), which makes me wonder if Virgin knew it didn't need it

(*) not to be confused with the 8-digit PUK printed on the red SIM carrier card which is the unblock key for the SIM PIN (for when you repeatedly enter the wrong PIN and get locked out)

0 Kudos
Messybeast
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Luck you! My Nokia X2-00 was locked to Virgin and is cannot be unlocked.  New handset required in order to run the new SIM  😞

0 Kudos