Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New SIM has possibly botched phone.

Hi

My Dad received a new SIM today for his Samsung GT-S3350, his first of the purple SIMs. It initially seemed like a painless transition, but after a short time the phone rebooted itself and it has just kept on doing that. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM has possibly botched phone.

Not sure but have had a handful of enquiries on here of older phones doing similar.

The common factor seems to be Java based firmware.

As to the answer, or fix, I've no idea. I suspect some sort incompatibility with these SIMs

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So he might be faced with either getting a new phone or trying a different network? Great news! Thanks to Virgin for effectively sending my Dad phone cancer in the post.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As I say, it's hard to know.

The phone won't be damaged in anyway and will most quite happily work on a different network SIM.

Without going into details, these new SIM cards are programed differently to allow Virgin to use their own core network whilst relying on another network for signal. The old ones relied on EE for everything and are being withdrawn in preparation for a network shift.

Sadly, it would prove impossible to test them on every phone, especially those which now run on firmware which is now obsolete.

Pity, because phones of that type are rare.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've started some preliminary investigation into alternative phones. I don't suppose you know if the Nokia Asha 210 would work? He really likes a physical qwerty keypad and he really doesn't want to enter the smartphone world.

If he was to keep his current phone and switch providers, should anyone who uses the EE network, ie Plusnet, BT etc be OK?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That Nokia seems to be Symbian/Java firmware so no certainty there.

I suspect the phone is unlocked to any network but those you mention are fine. ASDA is also EE based.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks for all your help.
0 Kudos