Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New SIM for old phone

I've had a new SIM sent to me out of the blue, and the letter says swap as soon as possible. First instruction is to save contacts and messages to my phone before I start. I'm not sure that's possible with my handset. The website doesn't have instructions for dumb phones.

By default everything's saved to my SIM, but the Nokia 101 is dual-SIM. Anyone know of a way to transfer data between SIMs without a smartphone?

They say they're 'making some network improvements'. But is it going to work for dumb phone users?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM for old phone

For dumb phones released fairly recently yes.

However for older Nokia phones, there are problems unfortunately. For some reason, some of them don't like the new SIMs.

Unfortunately there isn't much Virgin Media can do if a phone doesn't like the SIM. The SIM changes are a required update to allow Virgin Media to move off EE's radio network in the future.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

Doesn't look good. The phone's manual is copyrighted 2011. I suppose I have to look for another phone or another provider. If I try it and it fails, maybe I could still swap back to the old SIM for a short while.

But I'm still going to need to export my data pretty soon. Anybody know how?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can you not copy off the SIM to the phones memory. It is supposed to hold 500 entries. Most phones have a way to do this.

If you have not activated the new SIM it will carry on for a while yet.

As the phone presently works with an EE based SIM you can use EE, BT, Plusnet and ASDA OK. 

Personally I would think of a phone upgrade.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's helpful. Thanks. I should investigate further.

I'm not keen to have a more complex phone, but I haven't been able to find a way of copying data yet.

0 Kudos