Menu
Frustrated_Lady
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New SIM doesn’t work

Virgin have sent me a new SIM for my mobile promising “exciting changes and features”.  The only exciting thing that has happened is that the new SIM doesn’t work - my handset (admittedly archaic) simply says “SIM not valid”.

I’ve taken it out and put it back in again but to no effect, and this has been ongoing now for a week.  This isn’t good when the FAQs tell me the old SIM will be deactivated.

There seems to be no support available other than this forum so here’s hoping someone has an answer.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM doesn’t work

You may need to 'unlock' your phone to work with the new sim card.

You can request the code here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/unlock-code-request1

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Frustrated_Lady
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham.

I’ve got an unlock code in the letter with the SIM, but the handset doesn’t ask for a code.  It just says “SIM not valid”.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Different phones have different ways they are unlocked. If you put in Unlocking (make and model) into Google you often find instructions. 

Some it must be done with no sim inserted

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Frustrated_Lady
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli

I googled it and it seems I need to enter #pw+ MY_UNLOCK_CODE +1#

I did this twice but only got A message saying “code error” And I don’t want to do it again in case it locks completely.

I an texting with Virgin but they are almost useless.  Lots of irritatingly cheerful messages but no actual help.  All made worse by having no signal at home so I have to drive for 5 minutes to get a signal.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Frustrated_Lady, 

Really sorry you're still having issues getting the phone unlocked this isn't good. 

So I can help further I'm going to need to pop you a message and grab some details. 

We'll then either be able to unlock the phone or give you a different resolution. 

I'll do this now and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos