Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New SIM - doesn't work with old Nokias - help!

Both my parents have old Nokia phones, and both have been told to change over their SIMS to new ones, else their service stops working in 30 days.

The new SIMs, any reader of these boards will know, don't work in old Nokias.

Let's leave aside the fact that that this can't have been a surprise to Virgin and yet they made no provision for this - and that it would disproportionately affect their older customers.  Sigh.  My question is - When will their service actually cease?

They are vulnerable and self-isolating, so sorting out new phones and setting everything up is going to be a challenge for them.  They are panicking that their phones will just stop working, and they will have no way of getting in touch with the family in an emergency.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM - doesn't work with old Nokias - help!

After much help, I discovered that my older Nokia (a simplephone) can't be unlocked from the virgin network and I have to get a new handset in order to use the new SIM. The previous Nokia also couldn't be unlocked. Seems to be a Nokia thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Help_please,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Very sorry to hear of the SIM issue with your parents phones, I'll need a few more details from you so I've popped you over a private message. (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It turns out that locked Nokias can't be unlocked with an unlock code. Nokias are hard-locked using software and the only way you can unlock these is by downloading new software into the phone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Messybeast wrote:

It turns out that locked Nokias can't be unlocked with an unlock code. Nokias are hard-locked using software and the only way you can unlock these is by downloading new software into the phone. 

Funny that. I must have done quite a few over the years. Just sorted a 2003 Nokia 6210i for a neighbour

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos