Menu
nohelpfrom
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New SIM does not work - Virgin no help at all

Not sure if anyone can offer any help. Have been on line for a week with Virgin web help and they have been no help whatsoever, hopeless waste of time dealing with them. Virgin sent me a new SIM. It does not work - 'SIM card not valid'. After a log time 'looking into my account' they said that my 2g phone is no good and would need to get 3g or 4g. So I got a 3g phone and, of course, it still does not work. I suspect the 2g advice was nonesense. They sent me a second new SIM and of course it does not work. I can see now that they have been just trying to keep the web conversation going for hours and hours with no progress, perhaps hoping that I will just give up and go away. I had naively believed that they were actually investigating in between the long pauses but they must just be keeping lots and lots of us mugs on the line with no real hope of any resolution at all. This is the worst customer service I have ever come across. My only option would appear to be to continue to use the old SIM until it stops working and then try somewhere else. I have asked many times how long will old SIM continue to work - but nobody at Virgin can tell me - it could be days , weeks, months, years, apparently a mystery to them all. I would be very grateful if anyone out there could help or comment in any way on this. Thank you

Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM does not work - Virgin no help at all

Hi Nohelpfrom, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Very sorry that there has been an issue with the new SIM cards and your handset, I can appreciate the frustration. 

I'd also like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you. 

The old SIM shouldn't be working, this means the new one hasn't been activated or activated correctly. 

We'd need to do this to ensure it works and it should work in the phone you have bought, if not then we can look at sending you one from here. 

I'm going to send you a personal message so I can get this sorted. 

:)

Emma_C - Forum Team
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it will only work in your old phone and any you buy if they are unlocked - old VM sims use the EE network - the new sims do not so if your phones are locked to EE then any new sims they continue to send will not work

as said above VM will send a new phone that will work with the new sim if all else fails

Tony
nohelpfrom
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony for your v helpful response. Also now getting help from Forum Support which is so much better than the web chat help. Thanks again
0 Kudos
nohelpfrom
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This problem has now been sorted for me by Emma C of the Forum Team. Emma arranged for me to be sent a new basic phone - Energiser E12. The new phone activated the new SIM card straight away no problem at all. Now activated, the new SIM also appears to now work with my old phone. Emma sorted the problem out very quickly and gave some explanation of what the problem was due to. If you have a problem, I highly recommend contacting Emma, or others in the Forum Team. (This is in stark contrast to the web help chat line - I wasted days and days on this - frustrating waste of lots of time with no resolution to what must be a common problem with the new SIM and old Nokia phones.) Pity that we had to change to the new SIM. Posting on the forum about the problem was just a last resort before I would have no alternative but to get another provider. The post actually got me a very quick, helpful response and a solution from Emma C of the Forum Team and also some helpful responses from other forum members. Thank you, problem now solved.

CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You were lucky.  I was promised a new phone a few weeks ago, never arrived, and then told today another 2 weeks.  I suspect its because I am PAYG and so not so lucrative to Virgin.

Carole R