Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

New SIM cards not working

Since both my wife and I received new SIM cards following the requirement to swap to a new SIM, we have been experiencing problems with not being able to get a Virgin signal, resulting in not being able to make/receive calls. I have a dual SIM phone, the old SIM allocated for work purposes is ok however the new SIM is repeatedly failing. Tried taking it out and replacing, restarting the phone. If this was just an issue relating to one SIM, I could accept that it may be faulty, but to have two faulty SIMS.....really? Can't accept that. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM cards not working

I too have received a new SIM card that refuses to work for longer than an hour before requiring a reboot.  Virgin texted me to say they wanted to discus new plans with me but I texted NO as advised as I was happy with my existing PAYG (being a very infrequent user).  Two days later Virgin said they were sending me a new SIM due to the trouble I had experienced in  the Isle of Man or Channel Islands (I hadn't been to either places).  New SIM arrived and was activated but only worked for approx 1 hour before 'No Service' popped up.  Local signal is strong and I have to shut down phone and restart for another hour of use.  Contacted Virgin and they supplied another SIM.  Guess what - same problem!  Are Virgin trying to offload PAYG customers?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I doubt if they are deliberately trying to offload PAYG customers.

However they have reduced they ways to top up and have no PAYG SIM cards for sale at present. The new JAM pack too are poor value.

Read into it what you may.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There is a number on this forum experiencing issues similar to yours. Virgin mobile seen to be in denial and are not presenting solutions - forum members are just apologising without any resolution.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Purple-SIM-data-problem/td-p/4053107/highlight/fa...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm having similar issues after new SIM...get no service have to reboot constantly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I too have the same problem, but with two SIM cards. I 'upgraded' my account (3 SIM only products on one account) to have 3 SIM only 4G plans.

VM customer service said I only need 2 new SIM as the final number would be ok on current SIM. Put the new SIM cards in and immediately had the problems like so many others, drop off network and had to reboot phone to make it find signal again. (iPhone XR and iphone8)

Despite numerous calls and told 'migration from EE to Virgin will take 24 hours', (VM are now using their own network?) each time I complained of the drop out, it was always the same, "it'll take 24 hours", "we've refreshed your settings', we've 'boosted you signal' (sounds fob off to me), but alas no joy. 

Today is day 10 into the 14 day cooling off period, so I rang again to be told this time the fix was to turn off mobile data when I wasn't using it! I explained that really wasn't fit for purpose only for the VM rep to tell me to 'listen, I'm trying to educate you'. Obviously turning off mobile data on an iPhone wouldn't really be using the phones features to it's best, so I had to request PAC code, which she gave me for all 3 of my phone numbers. She was rude from that point and told me I now was 10 days into my 14 day cooling off period. Text came through with 'you'll be charged 35 quid as not out of contract' explanation. To make matters worse my daughter (who has one of the numbers) is abroad on holiday, and will be back after the cooling off period so I can't port the number, so very likely get charged! 

I now have 4 days (just bought 3 new SIM only deals with 30 day contract with ID_Mobile) but they have to come through the post (tomorrow Sunday and likely not process until Monday now anyway), so may have a problem to get inside the 14 days!

"turn off mobile data to fix this" Laughable!
(except I'm not laughing as may have to pay over 100 quid to get out of the contract that isn't fit for purpose!) 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've joined you in ditching Virgin and switching over to IdMobile, its clear Virgin don;t give a monkeys banana about customer service.
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thinking the same but my son's mobile is using the red SIM without any problems and it's linked altogether on my account.  I wonder if I can part cancel??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Larks123 wrote:

Thinking the same but my son's mobile is using the red SIM without any problems and it's linked altogether on my account.  I wonder if I can part cancel??

Does not matter how many SIM's you have on your account, I had to part with one of my two SIM's I had on my account recently.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.