Menu
DaveCh
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New SIM card

Hi, Like many other users who have been supplied with a new SIM card which they can't use - I eventually got a valid unlock code for my Samsung SGH-X640. Then the phone asked for an SP  code. I tried adding a comment to the unlock code webpage asking for an SP code, but all I get is the same unlock codes.

Reading other posts, it is obviously because of a change of service provider. I've recently had a text message saying my SIM and account will be withdrawn in about a week.  Based on other's experience I won't get any sense out of Virgin Media, so I'm hoping you can help.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM card

Can't help with codes. Experience in the past tells me that depending who originally locked the phone 1, 2 or 3 codes may be needed! Looks like it may be two in your case. To be on the safe side you could do with the whole set. Not sure if Virgin have anyone who is up to speed on a phone of this age 

Looking at the specs for the phone there is also the chance that there will be some incompatibility between the phone firmware and the new SIM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DaveCh
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli,

Since the phone was purchased from Virgin Media in the first place, it's nice to know that they have configured the phone so that it is incompatible with their own network and effectively rendered the phone obsolete by the simple route of sending out incompatible SIM cards in the guise of an upgrade (or is it downgrade ?)

I have to wonder whether it isn't an underhand way of removing uneconomic PAYG accounts - I only used the phone every few weeks, so my credit has lasted for years. Virgin Media will presumably pocket my unexpired credit because their SIM isn't compatible with their phone. Since it is almost impossible to get answers to anything but the simplest query (as evidenced by other posts about the extreme difficulty of getting through to anyone or getting sensible answers to straightforward questions) I'm left with - just go to the website and the irrelevant simplistic totally inapplicable 'Help' files  which tell you absolutely nothing. I've got better things to do in my life than spend hours trying to get through on the contact number - it is likely that the battery will run down before I can speak to anyone and if they can't help then you are back to square one.  How soon before they decide that my smartphone and monthly account is also not worth having and destroy that by the same means ?

If nothing else I'll know that it is better to get an account with a more responsible network provider when I next purchase a new phone !

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveCh,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about this. What I will do is private message you so we can look to assist with the PAYG Sim. 

^Martin

0 Kudos