Menu
Xantia2000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New SIM and Virgin 8P plan phone data useage charges.

Hi, Take a look at your PAYG account if you have fitted one of these new SIMs to an internet capable phone. I had a shock when I got a text from VM to top up as I only £1.88 left.

I found I had £10 taken from my plan for internet data usage since fitting the new SIM in an Alcatel One Touch Pixi 4.

It looks like the new SIM can change your data usage phone selection and also select it to do it take it from any network.

This information was not part of simple switch instructions nor was the bombardment of notifications you get after switching for insurance it looks like you have to take out ? 

Regards 

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM and Virgin 8P plan phone data useage charges.

Hi Xantia2000,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community. If you have received a new sim card and already have mobile data activated on your handset it will use your mobile data if you are not connected to any WiFi internet.

Have you recently purchased a new handset and not turned off your mobile data settings?  This may be another reason why you have used your data.

Our sim card would not change the data settings on your handset. To stop this happening for the future you will need to make sure you turn off your mobile data  from the settings on your handset.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Xantia2000
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jodi, I have had this phone for some time and only used it for the internet at home or at Premier Inns type places that have free Wi-Fi.Have I just been lucky then up to now and picked Virgin free Wi-Fi places to look at the internet?, Looking at my usage on my billing something has changed since the new SIM card was fitted. I am trying to find out from VM billing where these internet charges are coming from but even the text back system is getting as bad as the call centres( now on day 2 of we will get back to you ). I Have checked my phone settings since looking at this abnormal billing and found Data was on and set for search all networks. I think I have turned Data off  and have set it for Virgin 3G till I can get my son to look . Do you know what I need to set to still get free internet use at home and at free WI-Fi places with this new SIM.? 

Kind Regards, 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to point out that the new SIM is a network change. The old SIM was tied to EE. The new SIM is not, so the phone sees the new SIM as a new network which currently roams onto EE.

Would changing networks have reset your phone?

I would look in the instructions that came with it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us Xantia2000,

You can still use your home WiFi and WiFi hotpots when you are put and about with the new sim card, this will not affect this service at all.

As long as you have you mobile connected to your router at home your phone will automatically connect to the WiFi service, if your out and about download our Connect App and it will let you automatically connect to any WiFi hotpots. To find out more click here.

With the premier in you may need to enter there WiFi password manually again.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Xantia2000
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nodrogd, Thank you for reply and wish I could give you an answer to this. The phone instructions for the Alcatel one touch pixi 4 are all on line and very limited for my knowledge. From my VM billing something must have changed with internet data that I have not selected. I am still trying to get to chat by text with VM billing to find out where these charges are from but every time I ask them to resend security page as timed out they don't get back and your on a new waiting game.

Regards

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Xantia2000,

Have our team come back to you regarding your billing issue with the mobile data? If not we can take a look for you from here if that's more convenient for you.

Let us know so we can assist you further,

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Xantia2000
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi, Thank you for your reply and offer of help, I did get hold of VM mobile billing by text who gave a link to PAYG charges and said turn your data off. They did not reply to why this had been since the SIM change. I also see from my account that some of the internet data it seems I have used since SIM change has not been charged for and so am even more confused. As you may tell from my messages I am of an age that is not that good with Tech so any help would be appreciated.

Regards

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Xantia2000, We will send you a private message to get this looked into for you. Chris

0 Kudos
Xantia2000
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chis, Thanks for private message but things are not going well in trying to reply, first attempt was on IE8 which did not show reply button then on Chrome where NTL address was rejected. Did you get any of them.

Regards

0 Kudos