Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New SIM Nokia 203 device restricted

My dad recently got the new Virgin sim to replace his older one. He did the swap straight away as he was anxious in case his old one stopped working. However we’ve had nothing but problems.

when the new sim is put in and the phone turned on, the screen is blank apart from a box that comes up saying “device restricted”. We have tried all the codes supplied on the letter and nothing works. I’ve requested unlock codes from virgin media twice, tried to call them but to no avail, and tried the live chat on the website but no response there either! 
We gave up and put the old sim back in, which now doesn’t work! No calls no texts no internet, can’t even send a text to virgin to “switch” if that would’ve helped. I’ve read elsewhere some sims were old EE sims so I’ve rung them to see if the phone was locked to them. It isn’t. It wouldn’t be surely, he’s had this phone since the start and used only virgin sims with it. It even has virgin media in the start up sequence!

what can I do to fix this? My dad is elderly and disabled and distraught that he can’t now use his phone at all. He’s angry at the idea of having to get a new sim or even a whole new phone. Can anyone help us out here?? He has a Nokia 203 and up until now everything has worked fine for years. The sim starts with 320 if that helps anyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM Nokia 203 device restricted

Your phone is locked to EE, in the old days Virgin Mobiles came locked, there is no point calling EE you were never their customer and they wont know or be able to help.

Some options are

obtain an unlock code

obtain a a new phone

or move to a provider that uses EE, like EE, Plusnet or Asda Mobile

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for this. I’ve actually just tried a ASDA mobile sim in it that my neighbour has let us use and we still get the same “device restricted” message. I have tried calling 789 from his mobile tonight but just missed the cut off point to speak to a person. I will try again tomorrow bht it’s unfortunate this Asda sim didn’t work as he’s going to pick up a delivery and needs his phone to keep in contact with us!

will virgin be able to give us a useable unlock code? Or am I just in a hole getting bigger?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Penguin73,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Really sorry to hear that you're father is having issues with his new sim card. We appreciate the frustration this has caused as he is now without a working phone or sim.

We will try our best to help you get this resolved and the phone back up and running. We can find out if your IMEI number is compatible and if we have a unlocking code for your fathers Nokia 203.

As we need to take some personal details from you I will pop you over a private message. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jodi I would appreciate this greatly. I have looked in my messages but I can’t see anything from you, am I looking in the wrong spot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My issue was not solved as the phone was apparently incompatible with the new sim. Instead I’ve been offered a new phone to replace the one that is now deemed useless and I’ll update this once we have the new phone if the sim works!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for updating the post so others can see what help can be provided.

Please let us know once you get the new handset.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Update: we have received the new handset and the sim was put in. It worked perfectly and I’m glad we were offered this new phone, I think my dad will like it once he is used to it. Thanks to Jodi for her help at getting this solution, even if it wasn’t the one I was looking for. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the update, Penguin73. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi please can someone help us again!! We have the new phone and my dad has barely used it except to send a couple of texts and make a few calls and all of a sudden his credit has gone from £30 down to 0.09p! He got a text earlier today saying he only had 49pence left and I’ve just rung customer support to check that balance and it’s now 9 pence! He’s barely used it as hes still learning what to do, can someone help us again?

0 Kudos