Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New SIM Card - Network change?

Virgin Media have just sent me a new SIM card but it is red whereas other recent posts refer to a switch from red to purple. Is there a significance to the SIM card colour?

I am also constrained to using an EE-based network. Does changing the SIM affect the network that my mobile phone will use?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM Card - Network change?

I can't say as a matter of fact, but VM signed a deal with Vodafone to provide the network aspects of their mobile service late last year, replacing the previous deal with BT/EE.  So I'm guessing your new sim is part of the customer migration to the Vodafone network, that presumably won't work for you?  And in a fit of corporate carelessness, VM signed that deal a few scant months before announcing their planned merger with O2......

So depending on whether the Vodafone deal has exit clauses, there's a possibilty that customers get flipped from VM/EE to VM/Voda, and at some date in future to Voda/O2.  As always, VM's UK staff work hard to help customers (thumbs up to the forum team), meanwhile VM senior management work hard to ensure customer dissatisfaction.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser,

That was sort of my concern. I was aware of the Vodafone arrangement and putting 2+2 together I wondered if the new SIM card was linked to that. The covering letter makes no mention of a network change but to the majority of people it maybe doesn't matter. Clearly I'm going to have to move away from Virgin Media at some point in the not too distant future but I would rather that was a planned change and not one forced upon me immediately by a change of SIM card.

Are any of the Virgin Media team able to offer a definitive Corporate response, please?

Thanks again,

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The old cards are not ceasing to work just yet, there will be a warning before that happens.

The old SIM cards were EE based and you used EE for everything including back haul.

The new SIM still operates on EE for now just signal only. All the back haul, switching etc goes via Virgin's own systems.

I suspect the Vodafone deal is dead in the water. Liberty Global are big enough to buy their way out of that. The change of network was for the end of 2021 and as the present merger is not going to be finalised for 12 months, I think end of 2021 is on the cards.

You won't get a corporate response on here. A) Most of the team are not on at present. B) In 7 years on here I have never seen a corporate response.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Going of what you have said enlli I wont switch my sim and run to the end of my contract later this year and find a new provider.

0 Kudos