Menu
Y0ungn1ck
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

New Purple SIM, another failure

Being elderly, I carry a 10 year old Nokia "pay as you go" phone purely for emergencies.  My purple SIM arrived with a covering letter instructing me to replace immediately or I will lose my mobile service.  On replacing the SIM I got the "Invalid SIM" message, I have attempted several unanswered phone calls to Virgin and been round in circles with their so-called online help and wasted nearly 8 hours today without getting any help.  But for the £20 credit still on my old phone, I would have walked out and bought another provider's cheap pay as you go phone to avoid being left cut off in an emergency by Virgin. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Purple SIM, another failure

Older PAYG phones are network locked and will not work without an unlocking code.

What make and model is your phone and was it purchased from Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Y0ungn1ck
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Purchased from Virgin on 27/06/10, Nokia 1616 I still have the Despatch Note. The phone is almost never used as I carry it purely for use in an emergency.
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

OK Check the red plastic card at the bottom left. It may have an unblocking key

How to enter code for NOKIA 1616:

1. Switch ON your NOKIA 1616 without SIM Card,
  2. Compose #PW+CODE+1# (if that doesnot work change tgec+1# forc+7#),
  3. The phone show "SIM Restriction Off" and will becunlocked.
  • The letter P appear after press 3 times quickly the button star (*)
  • The letter W appear after press 4 times quickly the button star (*)
  • The letter + appear after press 2 times quickly the button star (*)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Morning Y0ungn1ck, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry that you're having issues using the phone since getting the new SIM, as advised it does sound like the phone is locked. 

Have the above instructions helped unlock the phone? 

If not then please let us know so we can help with this, we'll also ensure that this is dealt with accordingly and you're not left without service. 

Please let us know how you're getting on. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Y0ungn1ck
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Emma,

I am in my late 70s, I do not/cannot text, I have never previously had to fit a SIM card until this fiasco.  I would not even risk attempting  the unlocking procedure suggested so my phone is still apparently locked and unable to use the new SIM.

My mobile is purely used for making voice calls should I have a car breakdown, puncture, heart attack or similar emergency, and for receiving text messages from my Doctors Surgery and my Bank, including OTPs. 

I will be most grateful if you can assist in any way to ensure that I am not left without a mobile service

I note from the answer to another forum member with a similar problem, that the purple SIM will work with any newly purchased mobile, presumably keeping the current number and credit balance.  Perhaps Virgin should consider offering a subsidised deal on a new compatible phone. 

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back in touch Y0ungn1ck, 

What I'm going to do is pop you a personal message and grab some details and make sure this is sorted as soon as possible.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Y0ungn1ck
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Emma.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

No worries. 

I'll await your reply to my message 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Thomas789
Tuning in
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, (invalid SIM) with the SIM card Virgin sent me with the same phone (Nokia 1616) also bought in 2010 at a Virgin store. Please post any solution here. For the time being I have put the old SIM card back in (which works without problem, I only had to reset time and date).

Having said this, could somebody from Virgin Mobile confirm that I wiould still be on my 'Simply 8p' pay-as-you-go tariff with the new SIM card? As far as I am aware this tariff does not exist anymore these days (which is the main reason why I have held on to the old phone and SIM card)

Thomas

0 Kudos