Menu
Kirstend
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New PAYG SIM

My elderly aunt received her new SIM in July but only asked me about it yesterday, she didn't know how to insert it into her phone.  Anyway I popped it in for her and her phone now displays the message "Network Key?"  I have read over the letter that came with her new SIM and can't see any reference to what we should enter here.  I did notice on the back of the SIM card carrier there was a "personal unblocking key" printed.  I tried to enter this and although it seems to be the correct number of digits required, as once I had entered it the OK option appeared, I then received a message to say that the code entered was not correct.

Looking through the forum I can see at least one other thread asking the same question and the answers seem to suggest that possibly the phone is locked to another network and we need to contact them, but the SIM I removed was also a virgin SIM and I confirmed with my aunt that this was the only SIM that had ever been in the phone.  The phone itself is also branded as a Virgin Media device, (I assume it is made by Alcatel as it looks similar to their models) and she purchased it complete with the SIM.  The other post I saw also suggested that they contact where they had purchased the phone from, but I do not know this information (and neither does my Aunt, she has had it such a long time) and as the phone has only ever been linked to the Virgin Network I can't see that this would be what is required anyway.

Please can someone advise what information I need to enter at this point to get her phone working again.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pumas
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New PAYG SIM

If the phone wasn't actually bought through Virgin,even everything says Virgin, it is probably locked to EE.

Virgin may be able to give you a Network key & Service Provider key(didn't work for me!)

Ring 789 from a Virgin phone(obviously not aunt's unless old sim still works), or 03456000789 chargeable (9 til 6) and be prepared to do battle. If Virgin can't resolve it, they are sending out new phones.

If you want to avoid the above, or can't wait, buy a (cheap) unlocked phone.

Kirstend
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice, she has said she'll just buy a new phone, but I don't see why she should.  The one she's got suits her, she knows how to use it, and it still works perfectly fine.  I am going to pop into my local store tomorrow and see how I get on in there.  By the sounds of it I may be there some time!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Kirstend wrote:

Thanks for the advice, she has said she'll just buy a new phone, but I don't see why she should.  The one she's got suits her, she knows how to use it, and it still works perfectly fine.  I am going to pop into my local store tomorrow and see how I get on in there.  By the sounds of it I may be there some time!

Hope you don't mean a Virgin Store as they are all now closed permanently. If so, save yourself the trip

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Kirstend
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I hadn't realised that. I wasn't going out of my way though as will already be in town.

It seems ridiculous that a communication company are so hard to contact!!

0 Kudos