Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Network locked SIM card inserted

After replacing my existing virgin SIM with a new virgin SIM (must be done as the network is being upgraded), my old SIM does not work and the phone displays a "Network locked SIM card inserted " message and I have no service.  I called customer services on 3rd June and provided all information and was told I would receive an unlock code via email within 72 hours.  Well we're coming up to 120 hours and nothing has arrived and having queued for 20 minutes was put through to the cable team, who put me back in the queue, I gave up after 33 minutes.  How hard can this be?  I use the phone as a main contact with my father's care home, so have been havign a tricky time for 5 days now.  If this isn't sorted soon I'll go to another provider, maybe for cable and brroadband too as Virgin doesn't seem capable of organising a SIM swap.  [MOD EDIT: Removed] is the dead SIM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Network locked SIM card inserted

First. I would not post any number openly on the forum.

Second, if the phone is network locked, which is likely, a code may be required from the manufacturer, which could take longer.

Can I ask what make and model and where purchased?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The phone is Samsung Galaxy G7, it was my daughter's, I've had it for a couple of years.  It had a working Virgin SIM in it, and now has a new one which shows as network locked.  I've filled in the Virgin form for an unlock code, 5 days ago.... 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi trevormartin,

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with the SIM. The issue may depend on where the handset originated, which may be why an unlock code is needed. Did you fill out the form online? 

I'll send you a PM shortly, to get your details to check the status.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I did indeed fill in the form online, on 3rd June.  I rang customer support today and was told Virgin asks EE for the unlock code as old virgin sims used the EE network.  I was given the number for EE with a suggestion they might be quicker than waiting for a virgin response.  So I rang EE, the very helpful young man advised that the EE unlock team is currently not operating and won't be for another 2 weeks.  So Virgin is sending out SIMS to replace SIMS knowing there will be a problem, and not providing the unlock code up front, utterly disgraceful.  Pretty likely I will be moving to another mobile provider soon, I have now been without my primary contact phone for my father's care home for 6 days, words fail me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI trevormartin, i am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service and can see that we have sent you a private message. ^Chris 

0 Kudos