Menu
Hapoyincrete
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Network failing

Hi First of all this is not a problem just related to my phone or me

but had to fill space above. I am in Crete Greece. Over the last few weeks mine and OH phone have failed to connect to network. Normally Virgin piggybacks Cosmote, the Greek national network. Having spent hours on live chat and talking to Virgin trying absolutely everything several times I decided to see if others had same problem. Posted on 2 forums and discovered Virgin mobiles were failing across the Greek islands!! Other UK networks are fine. So there is no point contacting customer service again to go through pointless questions. I am sure that Cosmote have cut back Virgin bandwidth as the network is only just coping with lockdown use. Priority for Greeks and why not?! However, how do I get Virgin to check this and get past the CS lot with their scripts. I have messaged Cosmote but don't expect a response. They are hardly going to admit cutting out Virgin.

Ps this is nothing to do with Brexit, fair usage, Sims according to Virgin.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Network failing

The problem is Virgin have no roaming agreements of their own, everything is done through Belgian Proximus. Could be quite a paper chase.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Phenotype
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That is what I am guessing has happened as I am in mainland Athens and I can clearly see perfect signals on all 3 greek networks. But yeah virgin connects to Cosmote normally.

This is really serious however as people( myself included ) cannot access bank accounts and send payments due to OTP passwords.

And virgin has to do their part and contact Cosmote to sort this issue.

0 Kudos
Hapoyincrete
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear in some respects it's even failing in Athens. I knew Rhodes and Aegina as well as Crete were affected. Have you contacted Virgin?

I contacted Proximus and they confirmed there was a technical fault but said they couldn't do anything about it. Cosmote said they couldn't do anything...fair enough. Have tried everyway with Virgin to get the message across that it's a technical problem! FINALLY got through on live chat to someone who said it had been reported to the technical department BUT they didn't say how long it would take to fix ☹️

If you haven't tried, could you let them know it is Athens as well? Thanks for reply.

Phenotype
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have reported it to the Virgin customers services and mentioned that the issue is not even in a remote area and that it is in the capital Athens and that the signal here is great for all providers and that probably Cosmote has ''blocked'' Virgin.

I told them that this needs to escalate fast as people are unable to access bank accounts due to OTP, while being away from home.

So the issue is most likely with Proximus which is based in Belgium ?

I will contact them again and point them to this thread. Please check your private messages as well.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Hapoyincrete
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's brilliant!

I'm not sure that the problem is directly with Proximus but when they tried my number they said there was a technical fault.

Not sure how I check private messages? Just wondering if you are on British in Greece FB? I started thread on there about Virgin problems. No one from Athens responded. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Phenotype
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I contacted Cosmote but they are saying to contact Virgin media and it is their fault. Bear in mind I spoke to the '1st line of responders' so they are just trying to get rid of the customer given that I am a virgin customer they would not care.

To check private messages go to the upper right side where there is an envelope.

I am not on FB unfortunately.

Thing is for this to be sorted lots of people have to report that there is indeed an issue. Please retweet.

0 Kudos