Menu
Kaptain
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Network Unlock Codes

I bought a Virgin Branded VM560 handset from Sainsbury many years ago. I put in a replacement Sim, which does not work. 

Does buying a Virgin Mobile branded handset from Sainsbury count as buying the handset from Virgin Mobile in relation to getting unlock codes.

A week ago I went to Virginmedia.com/unlock to obtain a handset code, but have received no reply despite the site saying allow upto 72 hours. I have since put in another two requests just in case I missed a call or something.

The VM560 is in fact an Alcatel OT506. My phone is currently locked and un-useable. When might I expect someone to contact me regarding obtaining an unlock code for my handset?

0 Kudos
Kaptain
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Network Unlock Codes

I have just spent most of the day progressing the above issue in live chat, as well as chatting with someone from complaints. My current understanding is that despite what is said in the new sim covering letter, if you have a phone with buttons, then Virgin will not obtain a Network unlock code for you. The current policy would be to send out a cheap replacement phone if you make enough fuss.

As I have found, the codes which VM suggest might work will simply lock the phone and render it useless.

If you want to keep your old phone, then your only option would appear to take it to a phone shop, or online, and purchase an unlock code. You might think it strange that phone shops have this ability, but VM does not.

You might want to get an unlock price first, then raise a complaint with VM and ask them to pay the bill. If they refuse then I am sure the Ombudsman will view any complaint to them quite favourably, in the light of Ofcom's view on being able to unlock a phone and switch networks.

In the meantime, don't forget to accept a free Energiser phone if offered, on the basis that is required until you get your own phone unlocked.

0 Kudos