Menu
AnnedeR
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Network Lock prompt when inserting new SIM

My mother is an elderly technophobe.

She has recently received a letter about a new SIM.  SIM inserted and now asking for a Network lock code.

There is no info on the VM website about Network Lock code...   So I (her son) have filled out a proformer on the website to send an unlock code.  This was over a week ago, nothing via email.  I sent another today.

Also, I cannot find any numbers to call about this.... I mean no customer service numbers are obvious under "contact us"....

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network Lock prompt when inserting new SIM

Hi AnnedeR,

Thanks for your first post on the community - welcome!

I'm sorry to hear your Mother is having some issues with her new SIM. When the new SIM arrived, the package should have included some instructions on how to activate the new SIM and also an unlock code. Were you able to find this? 

Can you also please confirm the make and model of your Mother's handset for me?

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
RBear
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Similar problem. Put in new SIM and network locked. Asked VM for code said within 72 hours still waiting a week later. Found unlock code on SIM card holder so faint can hardly see it. Put code in says 9 attempts left. Put phone off next day switched on and all working got text message welcome etc etc. Late at night so switched off. Following day network locked again put old SIM back in wont work anymore.

Gone round in circles on website for hours eventually found a contact number tried it twice 45mins wait.

To sum up no working phone, disgusted with VM, Dont need a new SIM (old one worked fine) now new SIM gone missing in the confusion. Thoroughly sick and fed up with the whole system. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi RBear,

Thanks for your comment, I'm sorry to hear you are also having a few issues with your new SIM and when you tried to contact us regarding this. The last thing we want is to cause any stress or upset with the rollout of our new SIMs.

It seems strange that you were prompted to enter the unlock code again after rebooting your phone. I just want to double check that you were not asked to input a SIM pin, rather than an unlocking code?

If you have misplaced your new SIM card, I can certainly arrange for a new SIM to be sent out to you. Kindly pop me over a private message at the purple envelope with your account details and I'll get that sorted for you.

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
RBear
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean the purple envelope at the top of the page? I tried clicking on it but nothing happened.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hey RBear,

That's strange - I'll pop you over a PM now, let me know if you're able to access it okay. If not, I'd advise trying the load the page in a different web browser or refreshing the page.

Let me know if you're still stuck 🙂

Beth

0 Kudos
AnnedeR
Joining in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The letter contained the Sim card, the Sim card contained the default security pin (4 digits) and a personal unblocking key ID (8 digits).

The instructions on the letter helped me to a pro forma to complete, but nothing no response in 2 attempts

Phone is an older flip phone, Samsung GT-E1190

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks AnnedeR.

I'l have a look to see if I can get the unlock code for the handset that you need. 

I'll need to take some details, so I'll pop you a private message to clear security.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos
RBear
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bet_G,  My Sim arrived but it says Network Lock.  Please give me instructions for what to do.  I dont have time to spend hours trying to sort it out. I am going on a fairly long car journey tomorrow and I dont need the extra stress of no phone in case of a breakdown.  Please can I have my old card reactivated.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @RBear

Thanks for your post and your Private Messages to @Beth_G 

She's currently away from the office so has asked me to take a look for you - I can only apologise that you are getting the same issue with your replacement SIM. Unfortunately we're unable to reactivate an older SIM.

Can you please advise what handset you're using? Was it supplied by us or is this a 3rd party handset?  I'm not able to see that you have advised this in any of your messages - I am sorry if I've missed it? 

Pop back when you can and we'll go from there. 

Cheeers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos