Menu
brisco44
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

NO SERVICE ROAMING IN PORTUGAL MAY 2029

I was in Portugal May 2019 for 3 weeks in the algarve area and in that time I could not get my virgin mobile sim to connect to the network. I had all the settings on virgin mobile app set correctly and the settings on my galaxy s7 edge . It would occasionally send cb messages to me by text saying 282 portimao or 289 Faro. To try sort out why I could not roam I had to get in touch with customer services which will wear you down, but how do you do that when your phone won't connect. Well you have to buy a local sim and put lots of Euros on it so you can call virgin because you can't roam in Portugal. So calling customer services you have to wait 20 minutes with rubbish annoying music playing telling you virgin is very busy and your call will be answered soon..There was all so a problem in the UK with the network at the time . Anyway I got to speak to someone and explained what was going on and was told I would have to get a new sim card when I got home. My credit on my local sim run out. I phone back again on my friends Portuguese phone and appeal to someone else and asked if someone could call me back on my friends phone where they said they would, I gave them the number and was told some one would call me back rite away, no one did. 

Next day I phone back again after waiting 20 minutes on hold and when I got through explained again the problems and cost and was told to hold the line for a minute where I listened to silence for 5 minutes and then the line went dead. 

For the next 3 days I used the chat line on wifi to talk to customer services trying to resolve this problem to no avail. All my settings checked out ok and was eventually told to phone back customer services to talk to level 2 tech team and given a transfer code so they could see the steps we had already done. 

I had really had enough of all the time I had spent on the phone and on chat by now ,almost a week on the phone every day and the cost of buying local credit to phone virgin because they could not provide the service they said they could, quite possibly a mis sold contract. Anyway I gave up because I was not going to spend any more time or money trying to sort this out and would wait till I was back in the UK before calling back.

When I got back I phone virgin and explained all that had happened and was not very happy with virgin and also gave them the transfer code I was given. The person I spoke to did not know what this code was land would not put me through to level 2 technical department and went on to tell me there was nothing they could do till I went back to Portugal, I Was thinking really you want me to go through all that BS again and spend my money trying to sort out your Problem. I was not happy and told them I wanted to speak to an upper manager where I was given a complaint number and told a manager would phone me. They did phone me but I was unable to take the call and left a message on answering machine saying they would call back, they phoned back next day and again I was unable to take the call and was told they would call back again. I'm still waiting on the manager calling back and have a contract with virgin that say they roam in Portugal but not for me, customer service that don't know what each other is saying and is a nightmare if you have problems abroad. Should have stayed with Giffgaff 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: NO SERVICE ROAMING IN PORTUGAL MAY 2029

Hello Brisco44,

Welcome to the community and apologies for the issues you had roaming while on holiday.

Can I please confirm if you were advised to switch roaming off and then back on again to see if this rectified the issue?

Also, did they let you know regarding the mast prioritisation while using roaming in other countries? As, like within the UK, they will always prioritise the mast connections with their countries mobile networks and then if the mast is not at capacity the roaming mobiles from other countries will then gain access to the masts. This is how roaming services work and we cannot ensure that all masts where you travel won't be at capacity at the time of your visit. However, I am very sorry of the inconvenience this caused with trying to contact us regarding this service while you were trying to enjoy your trip. 

In regards to your complaint with us, were you provided with a complaints reference number when you requested it be escalated to a manager callback? The time-frame we aim to have with these are within 72 hours and I apologies if this wasn't met. The different complaints methods we have are on call escalations, our online complaints form which has a response time aim of 7 working days to confirmation of receipt and then a 28 day wait time for a response to the complaint. The last method we have is by letter which is longer than both of the previously mentioned methods but you can find the address to post these to in our complaints code of practice which I will provide for you here.

I hope this helps, Emily.

0 Kudos