Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NO MOBILE RECEPTION!!!

I am in a contract with Virgin mobile. The problem is, that where I live, there is just no reception!!  I get absolutely no reception at home, and therefore am unable to use my phone for anything. I do not receive text messages or calls as there is no reception.  According to the website, the reception in my area is "good" but it isn't.  It is costing me a fortune as when I need to make a call, I have to use my landline (I also have broadband, phone and TV with Virgin) so in effect, I am paying twice for a service that I don't receive!  I want to leave due to this problem, as it is never going to be resolved, and the irony is, that I cannot even call 789 from my mobile to speak to someone at Virgin, as I don't get a reception to make a call!!  I have called on their 0345 number, but after going through all the options, you then get told that their call centres are closed due to corona virus.

I am absolutely fed up of having a non-existent service, and just want to go back to o2 who I was with before, where I get 100% reception all of the time.

Any advice from anyone on where I can go with this, or what I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Kathryn.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: NO MOBILE RECEPTION!!!

This is a difficult one as checking suitability is part of the 14 day right to cancel at the start of a contract. After that it is assumed that you are happy.

You might like to check on here.

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Use EE and check for indoor coverage. You will need 3G to make calls

However, there is one caveat and that is Virgin do not have access to EE' s 800Mhz 4G which has better indoor penetration. Another reason to check on 3G

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kathrynb27, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry you're having an issue with the service, it's really not what we aim to provide and it's disappointing you want to leave us. 

So that I can have a closer look and see what the options are I'll pop you a personal message and we'll take it from there. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very poor or no reception where I live - CM18 7RR

Is there anything that can be done - I have a 3G Phone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@awr1946That location shows as having a pretty good 3G2100 & 2G1800Mhz signal on the (detailed) checker I use. Which leads to the obvious question of whether your problem is indoors, outdoors or both. Also whether this is a short-term problem that could be a local fault? EE status checker 

Do you know of anyone else who uses EE, or Asda-Mobile/PlusNet-Mobile/1p-Mobile that you could compare with? That would help prove/disprove a handset fault

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@awr1946 wrote:

Very poor or no reception where I live - CM18 7RR

Is there anything that can be done - I have a 3G Phone

Had a look at 3G/2G Indoor on the OFCOM checker and it does not look good.

The map shows a hole in coverage. 

Not a lot can be done in a case like this as it is down to EE and there will be no more improvements to the 3G network as it is due to be wound down in the next couple of years 

Screenshot_20200802-202727_Chrome.jpg

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies, I think I probably have to change my phone and move to another network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@awr1946 That's entirely fair enough, and potentially the best solution in your case. I would just bear in mind that if you're changing your phone then you're going to be (probably) looking at a 4G-capable device to be future-proof. In the case of EE, there is additional "extended range" coverage that EE 4G contract customers have access to (which is available in your location) that isn't available on any of the "virtual" operators.

My point being, that you can't necessarily say that because Virgin is poor in this area, that EE necessarily is. I would suggest perhaps comparing with friends/relations on other networks to see whether any particular operator stands out - and perhaps getting a couple of PAYG SIMs to try out with £5 credit for a couple of weeks.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, in the meantime is there any way to connect wirelessly?

0 Kudos