Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

NHS - isolating and no internet connection

Hi 

I am an NHS worker who has had to isolate  from family as I am working with COVID-19 patients. I am temporarily living in a flat with no internet connection and having to use my mobile data to hotspot to do e-learning and video conferences (additional requirements outside of working in the hospital). I am running out of data. It would be much appreciated if I could be provided with unlimited data temporarily so I can continue meeting my professional needs. I have contacted customer services with no luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: NHS - isolating and no internet connection

@enlli  has done absolutely the right thing in escalating this for you and we'll get a response. Government guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/industry-and-government-joint-statement-on-telecommunications-sup...

on this issue says the your first port of call for this kind of issue should be your NHS employer who should be in a position to sort it out for you with VM.  The Forum will do its bit for you but I hope you have tried going direct to your employer. The deal is unlimited data for work related purposes only. 

Add - silly me, forgot to add a mega thank you for all your work before during and after the emergency.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply HowardML.

Unfortunately I am a doctor that has been re-deployed to another department to help with the COVID19 pressures, hence I do not have an allocated line manager to help with this issue. I have tried to get in touch with managers in my NHS trust but again no one knows who the best person is to deal with this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I know how the NHS works. I worked for DHSC for many years. Don't mess around. You have a link to the guidance. E-mail your Medical Director today and speak to your BMA rep. Don't let bureaucracy or reporting lines get in the way.  Your job is to save lives; their job is to fix things for you. You do your job. Let them do theirs. The reason why the guidance is written the way it is is to reduce the bureaucratic burden on you, the NHS and VM in identifying who is entitled to the extra help. I know, I used to write guidance like that all the time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Doc123, 

Thank you for using the forums to get this issue looked into - and of course for your hard work as a doctor during this pandemic. Lets see if we can get you back up and running so you can continue your work unimpeded. 

I can see if I can change your tariff to a higher data package, however I will be honest with you if it requires an upgrade we won't be able to help. This is due to us not having the systems the upgrade team have, But I will have a look to see what we can do!

I'll send you a PM now 🙂

Speak soon.

Megan_L

0 Kudos