cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My mobile data won't work

Ilkleyman
Joining in

I am already hating Virgin Mobile. I went on to get support, but it insists I use Whatsapp, but I DON'T USE WHATSAPP! Why should any company force a user to use a Facebook product. We do not live in a totalitarian state. You can't force people do install Facebook products. It's disgusting.

Anyway, I got my new SIM. My old number has transferred over, and is working fine, but the mobile data won't work at all, which is a big inconvenience.

Getting support seems impossible if you're not willing to install Whatsapp.

I so regret switching to Virgin 😞

Sorry to sound so negative. It is just that I'm spending hours trying to figure this out and Virgin have been useless. I did manage to speak to a person who told mme to send a text message saying 'ALL' to 789922. I did that but got no reply, even though everyone else is texting me just fine.

The support person wanted me to put the SIM into another phone, but it is tedious enough setting one phone up without having to go find another phone and involve that too.

I've been using mobile phones for thirty years (I know, crazy huh) and apart from T-Mobile, I've never had this much trouble 😞

3 REPLIES 3

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ilkleyman,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I am so sorry to hear your mobile data isn't working and you've not had the best support from us. 

We would never force anyone to use our WhatsApp messaging service- it's just an option should you prefer not to call. All our contact methods can be found here 

I can see you did speak with our team yesterday and apologise the advise provided has not yet resolved the issue for you.

Could you try troubleshooting here

If that doesn't work, we can try replacing the sim for you.

Let us know so we can offer further support where required.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply Ayisha, but there was nothing on that page that solved it.

I've managed to figure out via Brave browser searches that changing the APN settings works. Why didn't the support person just give me the settings. Here are the settings:

Internet APN
Name: WEB
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication Type: CHAP
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming protocol: IPv4
Leave all other options blank/Not set

MMS APN.
Name: MMS
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication Type: CHAP
APN Type: mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming protocol: IPv4

This may also answer why the message didn't come through when I texted ALL to that number. Maybe the reply was an MMS and as my phone wasn't setup for Virgin it didn't arrive.

The above settings did help, but the page I found them on offered no instructions as to how to add/edit APN settings so I had to spend time learning how to do that too. This is where good quality support is needed, whereas I have had to spent my Friday evening figuring it out for myself.

So the data is working on 4g, but the speed doesn't set the world alight (less than 3 meg), but maybe that will speed up.

Hi @Ilkleyman,

Thanks so much for coming back to me with the update. 

I am glad to hear you managed to get this resolved yourself, though appreciate the time spent isn't ideal at all.

Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for sharing what worked for you!

If there's anything else we can do for you, let us know.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs