Menu
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'My Number' in phone showing as 'Unknown' due to Virgin not writing it into SIM memory

I agree. They seem to be going the self service route that a lot of companies favour these days unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'My Number' in phone showing as 'Unknown' due to Virgin not writing it into SIM memory

Looks like I spoke to soon. My replacement SIM arrived and Emma_C asked me to PM her as soon as it arrived (ie before attempting to use it) so this I've done. Despite three PM attempts over the last couple of days to draw Emma_C's attention to this, I've heard nothing further and I'm waiting to hear how to proceed. For a company that deals with communications methods, they really are difficult to actually communicate with!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

I've responded to your PM, please let me know if I can help with this.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sorry if you've been thrown in at the deep end with Emma_C's workload Terri_P - as you mentioned in your PM she's away so that explains the silence till now. 

After installing/activating Skype on my phone, I was finally able to phone your call centre and get it sorted this morning using my workplace WiFi.

Still no 'My phone number' written to this latest SIM however and as the four phone repair shops I visited (both near and far) didn't have SIM reader/writer devices, I'll buy one of my own and do this job myself!

0 Kudos
shaf69uk
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, VM sent me new sim as they are updating all old sims I believe and today I received new sim and I have same problem.

I am using LG v20 with dual sim and new sim is not showing my number. 

I am not happy at all as I always go to settings and see my number when I fill in form as I can't remember my own number

Now I am unable to do so because VM have sent me incomplete sim

See image SIM 1 is Virgin and doesn't show my number

SIM 2 is EE and is showing my Number.

.Screenshot_20**:**:**:**:**:**.png

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've since changed suppliers and my new supplier sent out a SIM with a number written to it. This was the new Telco's original no however so as I chose to keep my original no I bought a SIM Reader/Writer from a big online seller and used this to change the number. I'm now equipped to deal with such changes forever more myself but I think it's a very poor show for a Telco to not sort this out for you. 

if you get through to someone in the UK at VM they might sort this for you but in my experience this takes far more effort than it should.

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I purchased an IMO Q2 mobile, its an inexpensive 3g mobile with a fairly good spec and is made for Virgin, to my surprise my Virgin PAYG sim does not show:
Which Network I am connected to
My Mobile Plan
My phone number.

Bearing in mind that this is a mobile phone specifically designed to work on Virgin it is hardly surprising that other phones fail to show the SIM card phone number.

It is perhaps a deliberate ploy by virgin to charge for calls as the only realistic way of getting your number is to  call a friend and them telling you your number, which is plainly silly.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
dan3_h0dges
Joining in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I too am having the same issues on a Moto E5 where the phone's number is showing as unknown and when I try to select Phone Number in the settings page I can't access it; are you able to help with this?

0 Kudos
CaptCarrot
Joining in
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

there's an app for that Smiley Wink

0 Kudos