Menu
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

'My Number' in phone showing as 'Unknown' due to Virgin not writing it into SIM memory

I have a fairly modern phone which these days don't tend to allow you to write into the 'My Number' field. This information is actually read directly from the SIM so why isn't Virgin Mobile writing this onto the new SIMs it sends out to customers (well at least to those who want to keep their existing number)?

Many people claim the fact it shows as 'Unkown' is not a problem but that depends whether you're fussy about having your equipment 'just right'. Additionally some associated equipment which works alongside mobile devices, will read the 'MDN' of a device to ensure its being used only with the 'approved' phone so no MDN value (what you get if the phone number hasn't electronically been written to the SIM) can pose a problem.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about this matter but what is Virgin Mobile doing to ensure replacement SIMs are being correctly encoded with the applicable phone numbers (where this is known eg other than new SIMs which will get their number when first activated and which aren't reliant on number porting)?

Has anyone else here managed to get this matter successfully addressed and if so, how much effort did it take from you to get Virgin to fix this? Several years ago (when I was still new to Virgin Mobile) it took me MANY attempts before they finally sent me a SIM which actually had my phone number electronically saved on it. Recently they sent me a new (purple) SIM and despite my asking for my number to be written on the SIM at the time, once again I'm back at square one with 'Unknown' displayed. I even asked for a replacement SIM to address this issue and the replacement was no different. 

It's vital that staff fully understand this matter and that they LISTEN to what customers are asking for and work to provide it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'My Number' in phone showing as 'Unknown' due to Virgin not writing it into SIM memory

Hi Flying_Kiwi. 

Sorry that your number is showing as unknown on your phone, can appreciate you're keen for it to show. 

Are you unable to click onto it and add the number in manually? 

We do appreciate the feedback regarding our new SIMs and it will be passed on to help us improve how we do things. 

Let me know if this has been sorted since or if you've been in touch with the team. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'My Number' in phone showing as 'Unknown' due to Virgin not writing it into SIM memory

My main phone is on 3 and it has never been shown

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Think it's more of a Android thing then the SIM's.

My phone showed the number fine for the first SIM inserted, since a different SIM was inserted it then has always shown unknown for all SIM's used - mainly a Virgin SIM used, but a BT and a Plusnet SIM do get put in now and again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for chipping in all. To answer your question Emma_C, modern phones including mine, just have this field as 'read only' so what is displayed here is directly dependant on the SIM and can't be changed by tapping on the screen and writing it in. My old... vintage HTC TyTN II has a utility called 'Sim Manager' which would allow writing this info to the SIM but it's in storage many miles away.

Back around the time Virgin changed to offering a 4G service, I made many attempts and jumped through many, many (unnecessary) hoops before finally getting a SIM with my phone number electronically written to a special part of the SIM memory and this fixed the matter. If I swap this SIM back in, although its now deactivated, it will correctly display 'My Number' in this field, swap back either of the two (yes two) new SIMs I've been supplied with and the problem returns.

This isn't a specific OS issue other than it being common to most 'modern' phones as nowadays the phones are dependant on reading what's written on the SIM. It's also not just a Virgin matter and many other providers also fail to write users phone numbers to the SIM (even when its possible to do this). I understand for brand new SIMs supplied without a number porting arrangement, their number will only become available once the SIM is activated so this can't be written before the SIM is supplied. For direct replacement SIMs, I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible however.

My phone isn't Android, its a Microsoft Lumia 950 which uses Windows 10 Mobile as its operating system. I was told twice by members of your overseas call centre that I'd receive callbacks from their managers - each time with no call being received. I asked to speak with someone in the UK but was refused this. When they offered (for a third time) to have a manager call me, I said do you really expect I believe that a call will be forthcoming... really? The operator simply didn't care. I'm not going to jump through more needless hoops but will buy a USB SIM read/writer with software and put my number on my SIM myself. At least that way I'll have the required equipment ready for the next SIM!

PLEASE LEARN FROM THIS.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Anyone you know have an old iPhone laying around, you used to be able to edit SIM number on those, iPhone 4 I think it was - not sure if you still can now?

My other half has a newer iPhone, but there is no way she will let me she will let me shove another SIM in it and mess around 😁

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

As you mentioned older phones (generally) used to allow this 'write directly to the SIM' functionality but not anymore. These days its a no go which is why its all the more important for network providers to take their heads out of the sand and actually do something about this.

A previous phone network co I was with used to (may still?) have 'red boxes' in their stores for copying contacts between SIMs and writing numbers etc but my local VM Store offers no such equipment at all.

No friends phones are suitable but if I don't buy the equipment myself, I may visit a phone repair shop to see if they'll do it. Appalling that VM have no official provision for this 'value added' service.

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

As an update to this, I visited a nearby phone shop where the staff member let me use his (very old Nokia) phone to attempt to write my number to the SIM but the phones battery died part way through I think, anyway the end result is the SIM is now completely dead. I've therefore not been able to phone for a replacement SIM and the part of VM's website that's linked to contact us about a problem with your SIM comes up with this page so any idea how I can progress this by email or web chat please?Capture.JPGCrikey indeed!

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can try contacting virginmedia on twitter or facebook with your dilemma. afaik no email or webcam. 

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply but crisis now averted - I pm'd Emma_C who kindly took action for me.

I have never (and will never) use Twitter or Facebook etc as long as these companies don't take proper responsibility for things posted using their systems. This includes having all editorial/moderator personnel as direct, permanent employees of the respective companies rather than being 'agency' staff. It'll be very interesting to see the outcome of Martin Lewis's court case!

VM should not be reliant on only contact by phone or social media but should (at least) also support their own web chat for all customer queries.

0 Kudos