Menu
Slartybartfast1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Multiple text

Please can you tell me why my phone has been blocked by Virgin. Apparently I have used texting excessively, I have created a group of 62 members of our motorcycle club and use texting to inform them of events etc. We are just a club and not a business.

My phone was blocked by Virgin yesterday morning, I contacted them then and informed I would be contacted within 24 hours. Nobody contacted me. I rang again this morning and told I would be contacted today, nothing so far!

Looking at my usage on my bill there seems to be multiple entries for the same phone number all at the same time. This month so far I have sent no more than 150 texts but when I check the MyVirgin Media app it says I have sent 1150 or so.

At the moment Virgin Media customer services are useless to say the least.

I will be looking elsewhere for my internet/TV and land/ mobile account if this issue is not sorted soon.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multiple text

One text message is 160 characters, you've sent longer messages than this so it shows as many more on the bill.

It would  look like your using the phone for business purposes and not personal use.

Perhaps using WhatsApp broadcast for example may be a better solution for the long term

0 Kudos
Slartybartfast1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for pointing out the reason for multiple texts. Virgin help could not!

It would have been helpful though if Virgin had of sent me a warning regarding quantity of texts, they can tell me if my data usage is getting near my plan limit so why can’t they do so with texts?

My annoyance was,

1) why was my account blocked for no indicated reason to me, seemed like I was guilty and had to prove my innocents.

2) when I contacted Virgin help all they could tell me I was blocked, no reason given, and someone would be in contact with me ‘within 24 hours’ to unblock my account. Nobody contacted me so I had to ring again. I logged an official complaint and was told someone will be in contact with me during the day. Eventually some 11 hours later they contacted me. Unblocked me, gave me no real reason why I was blocked apart from ‘just excessive texts’ and just told to carry on as if nothing had happened.

As compensation for my inconvenience I have been credited with a months plan cost.

I am thankful it has been sorted out but think  Virgin Mobile could have handled things a lot better and put a lot less stress on one of their customers.

Regarding using WhatsApp instead of text, a lot of our aged club members don't trust other means of electronic communication and some, believe it or not, are not on the internet so texting is the only convenient way to contact them.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Slartybartfast1,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum. I am sorry that you've had this problem, I can completely understand your frustration.

We do have a monitoring system in place to protect our customers, and due to the number and length of the messages that you have sent, our system may have been triggered. I do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused, and I'm glad that everything has now been sorted for you.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Slartybartfast1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dear Laurie,

I have been told that I can still send multiple texts particularly if they are quite long, will that be the case or will I get blocked again?

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Slartybartfast1,

You can send texts if you wish, but if there's a large amount sent in quick succession then it's possible that it may trigger our monitoring system again.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Slartybartfast1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is a pity Virgin cannot send out a warning regarding texts rather than just block an account which causes great inconvenience to a customer. I can understand if an account has history of excessive use but for me it was first time and I was unaware there were limitations to text length. Lesson learnt for me I guess but I do still feel that Virgin customer care was lacking in this instance.

0 Kudos