Menu
richardhall90
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Moving number to and from a SIM card

I have a Virgin SIM that came free with my Virgin fiber internet that I use for my personal number, but my employer has now given me a phone+SIM and I'd like to port my number across to there.

But as this SIM is free, I'd then also like to give the Virgin SIM to my wife and so port her number across to this SIM. 

Does the order in which I do this matter? I.e. I don't want to deactivate the Virgin SIM if I move my number across to my work phone, and I'd also not like to lose my number if I move my wife's number to it first...

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving number to and from a SIM card

you seem to be missing the point.

If you want your VM number on another phone you put your VM sim card into the phone.

the same with your wifes number. put her sim int he phone you want the number on
0 Kudos
richardhall90
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, maybe I wasn't clear enough. My wife's SIM (Tesco Mobile) is currently costing us, and my SIM (Virgin) is free with our internet. I now also have a 2nd phone+SIM (EE) through work (I can't just swap the SIMs as it's a company owned phone, but they allow us unlimited personal use).

So to save money, and keep each others numbers the same, I'd like to move my wife's number to my free Virgin SIM, and move my Virgin SIM number to my work SIM. We'd then cancel her pay-as-you-go Tesco SIM.

I was asking if the order of submitting PAC codes matters? So we'd move the Tesco number to the Virgin SIM, and the Virgin number to the EE SIM. But I don't want to terminate the Virgin SIM in the process.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

porting the number will cancel the sim. so you can't do this. If you port your number to your work phone (you can't this would have to be the company) your sim cancels.

If you port your wifes number to your sim you lose the number on your sim.

Not sure what you want to do is possible
0 Kudos
hndbrk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am looking to do this exact same thing for the same reasons! If you have any success please let me know. It seems the support I've spoken to so far won't allow me to keep the bundled sim card for my daughter while I transfer the number away for use on a new business line with another network.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you move a number to another network then the original network ceases.

Has always been thus

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
hndbrk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

But why can't they just issue a new phone number on that bundled virgin SIM. After all there was one originally?

It's part of a bundle that they sell. All this is telling me is that Virgin have found a way to lock you into a SIM card because of their TV bundles. Trying to move my number away (even though I'm happy to have a new number on the Virgin SIM and use it elsewhere) causes a knock on effect to massively increase my prices on all bundles services.

Again - I want to keep the SIM/Contract - give me any number they wish. I just want my personal number elsewhere...

0 Kudos
hndbrk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

And having just about reached my limit of transfers - I have success! I wish I got her name because the very helpful lady knew exactly what do to and it was over in less than 10 minutes. She issues a PAC code and once the transfer has been completed, she'll be able to initiate what is essentially a new Oomph SIM card with a new number to keep the bundle going. 

Summary - Talk to the Oomph team.

It is definitely a shame these double-transfers aren't simpler. I keep finding more examples in the wild or parents/kids personal/work wishing to move numbers around and it's surprisingly hard!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

good news.

Be warned though you said you wanted to move your number onto a works sim card. If your work owns the sim they will have to transfer your number and it will lose their number. they will then own the number and not you. So you may not be able to move it anywhere else after that
0 Kudos