Menu
meccemm
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

More on the dreaded Energizer

Well, I've had this Energizer for three months and it has proved to be a disaster and has prompted a complaint being sent to Virgin, the reason being that there are apps on the thing that automatically connect with the internet and thus I run the risk of being charged for accessing the internet at £2 a time every time I turn the phone on. This scenario has been acknowledged by Virgin which has given me a refund of £10 but, at the same time, suggested that I should change tariffs to include one that allows internet connection. No way am I going to pay for something I do not want - that is a despicable suggestion.

I discovered another problem when I received a call from Virgin some hours ago - the phone will switch itself on from the "Off" state on receiving a call which means I cannot stop that internet access unless I remove the battery! In other words, the phone is completely useless.

I've been asked previously to suggest a make and model which would satisfy my needs. I would have thought that Virgin, being a telecommunications company, would itself be able to make a suggestion other that this useless Energizer (or the Nokia which I'm told does not have bluetooth and so cannot be used in my car) but no, Virgin is not inclined to be helpful. I see that someone else has mentioned the Doro 1360. I believe that this does have bluetooth but does nor have internet access - perfect!  How about it, Virgin?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: More on the dreaded Energizer

So virgin game you a new phone because I assume your old one didn't work with the new sims?

Was your old phone bought from Virgin or from somewhere else
0 Kudos
meccemm
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes, my previous Samsung phone was bought from Virgin but didn't work with that new SIM.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

no reason you shouldn't have been able to unlock a Samsung phone
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Personally I think Virgin was generous in supplying phones to people who were SIM only, be it PAYG or Pay Monthly. 

Been in mobiles since 1993 and never heard of such a move before.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
meccemm
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

That's what I thought, particularly as my wife's Samsung SGH-E250 phone, an older model, presented no problem whereas my GT-B3310 didn't need unlocking - the problem is "Invalid SIM card".

Thanks for your interest!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

https://www.myphoneunlockcode.com/how-to-unlock/samsung-sgh_e250

Should be able to get a unlock code for that phone
0 Kudos
meccemm
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

A couple of points -- you say that Virgin turned a perfectly good working phone into one that wouldn't work with the new SIM. I can't bring myself to beleive that's generous. The issue is not one of unlocking - the phome isn't locked - it just not compatible with the new SIM. Throwing cheap and nasty phones at the problem (I'm not the only one by all accounts) is not the way to solve anything.

By the way, it's the GT-B3310 that's the problem, not the SGH-E250 but thanks for the link anyway.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Meccemm

It wouldn't be compatible with the new SIM because it's locked to another network.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
meccemm
Joining in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

As far as I'm aware, the phone isn't locked. However, I've never been able to get as far as entering the unlock code simply because of the "Invalid SIM card" .Is it possible to unlock a phone without a SIM card being installed?

Thanks

Neville

0 Kudos