Menu
mayburyds
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mobile texting abroad

Hi,

Recently switched to Virgin Mobile transferring my number from another supplier.

Works fine the in the UK but on a recent trip to Turkey I was able to receive texts but not able to reply to them just kept getting "unable to send try again later".

Also when I landed back in the UK from Turkey I got a message asking me to confirm my country code as +32(!) and when I tried to ring someone in the UK later in the evening I got a non UK dial tone even though it was a UK number and I was back in the UK.

Tried the mobile help desk number but gave after three attempts to get through.

Do I need a setting switched on to enable me to use the phone outside the UK?

Cheers.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile texting abroad

Hi mayburyds,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to our community. Sorry to hear you had issues with texting in Turkey, this is not the thing you want to happen whilst abroad.

Before you left for Turkey did you give us a quick call to make sure your roaming services were activated? 

If you go abroad in the future make sure you have roaming switched on in your phone settings. 

If you can't get connected whilst your there you can always try a manual network search and a reboot of your mobile. This sometimes does the trick.

We do have to make you aware that roaming services are not guaranteed when you are outside of the UK and you may not always get a connection.

Now you are back in the UK have you tried a reboot of you handset to put you back on the Virgin Network? If you have tried this and and it has not worked we would recommend a manual network search.

Let us know how you get on after trying the above.

Many thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Seeing as you could receive texts, it looks like your phone was roaming ok. Did you have your Spending Cap set as "use allowances only" as use in Turkey is chargeable for calls, texts and data. You would also need to check in your online account to make sure "International Call Barring" is also turned off.

About the +32 country code, do you have a iPhone by any chance, if so it is a common problem for iPhones.  Have a look at this thread  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/iPhone-Dial-Assist-Problems/m-p/3795425#M121363

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
mayburyds
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Jodi,

Thanks for the reply.

I did have a bit of a smile when you said about a "quick" call!

No I didn't get roaming services activated. What's the difference between that and setting roaming on my phone?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
mayburyds
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Teabag,

Thanks for the reply. No I have a Samsung.

I do have a spending cap but I made sure that roaming was off for data. I did switch it back on again in case it had something to do with the text problems I was having but it made no difference.

Not sure if this makes a difference but the only texts I was receiving were from VM.

I don't have an online account as I was getting errors, like so many others it would seem, trying to set one up before I went away. I'll have another go.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
mayburyds
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Teabag,

Just tried to register for an online account and after asking me my mobile number it wanted to know the answer to my secret question that I'd obviously hadn't setup yet!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@mayburyds wrote:

Teabag,

Thanks for the reply. No I have a Samsung.

In the Phone app go to Settings > Other Call Settings > Roaming assistance, if it exists and see what it's set to. The default is 'auto select country' I believe

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mayburyds
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr,

Country settings set up auto.

Cheers.

teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@mayburyds wrote:

Teabag,

Just tried to register for an online account and after asking me my mobile number it wanted to know the answer to my secret question that I'd obviously hadn't setup yet!

Cheers.

If no security question/answer (the same as used when phoning 789) was set-up when you took the SIM out, one of the Forum Team here can sort one out for you.

When you do have an online account setup, it would be best if you reset roaming yourself before going away again - while in the UK, turn roaming off for 24 hours and then switch back on and also check International Call Barring is turned off, should only need doing the once and not every time you go away 🙂

With the +32 country code (Belgium), hopefully someone familiar with Samsung's can point you into the right direction.  With the Virgin SIM's being manufactured by Proximus in Belgium - there must be a connection there somewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

When you do have an online account setup, it would be best if you reset roaming yourself before going away again - while in the UK, turn roaming off for 24 hours and then switch back on and also check International Call Barring is turned off, should only need doing the once and not every time you go away 🙂

You can now also control roaming in the Virgin Mobile app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.android.youraccount&hl=en_GB 

As it's authenticated via the SIM, you don't need to register for an online account to use it

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own