Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mobile phone number stolen and no access to online account

Hello

My phone number was removed from my account, and this reported the next day, when I notice my phone wasn't working. But of course, they did it on Thursday night just before a bank holiday, so it has been over a week and I still don't have my number back. 

The criminals called the company got through security with a password? and requested a PAC to switch to another network. Thankfully they weren't able to access our Bank account because they didn't pass the security there.

Now, I don't even have access to our online account.  The fraud team said they will call 3 days ago, they haven't. They sent a letter yesterday and said the number will be reinstated today. Nothing yet.

Why can't we sign in? Password isn't working. I can't reset the password using the mobile phone obviously.

What is going on here? I would have though they have secured the account against the criminals, not against me!!! I have given alternative emails and phone numbers to contact me, but I can't reset the passwords with the alternative email.

Rubbish security. Really rubbish... why don't you send a text message BEFORE sending a PAC?

Isn't that common sense!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile phone number stolen and no access to online account

Assume you have alerted all those organisations that use your phone number for security. They want your number to hack these.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we are working on it. We have this phone number for many years. So, it is not easy.

I am not sure if it is safer to change the phone number now, or keep it.

Either way, I want to know why Virgin didn't send the mobile number a text alert/notification before going through with the PAC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought so.

I have an account with Vodafone. I can view it online using my username and password. However, before anything can be changed I have to enter a one time pin code sent to my phone. Just adds that extra layer of security.

BTW I know some people use an old phone with a PAYG sim for bank security, so it is not a number used in public 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post Mar2 and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the situation, we do advise that you change your passwords where possible to ensure everything is secure as this may have been how they successfully requested the PAC code. 

Has the fraud team been in touch since your last post? Have you been sent a new SIM with the retrieved number? If so please confirm if this is working for you.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! On this day of fraud and scams, no one is really safe and I expected that Virgin will have bit more security before changing my number to another network. It is really disappointing.

It's been 2 weeks, we have not contact from the fraud team, and no sim card yet.

We are really upset and thinking of moving the whole family (8) away from the network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to us.

I'm sorry you haven't had any ​​​​​​contact from us yet about the account or getting your number back. I know things like this are really important to get sorted out quickly. 

I'll pop you a private message now to help you.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos