cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data

mrshift
On our wavelength

Hi,

Would appreciate some help with a mobile coverage issue that I've had pretty much the whole time I've had my mobile (an iPhone 12 Pro), admittedly for 12-18 months now.

The issue's pretty simple - I technically have mobile coverage (it says 3G/4G/5G in the corner), but it's VERY slow. Doesn't matter where in the UK I am, in the middle of a city or the middle of the countryside - when using Safari, Google Maps, anything, it either takes a LONG time to load, or doesn't load at all and times out. I frequently have to use my wife's mobile (another iPhone, on EE) for anything that requires data, and it works fine.

Any suggestions on settings to change or someone to call would be useful, thanks. 👍

4 REPLIES 4

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this in one locality or area? Slow, unusable data is often down to network congestion. What does https://status.o2.co.uk/

In general EE is the best network for data and O2 the worst 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mrshift,

Thanks for your post about your data problems, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration for you! I'll be more than happy to help. 

I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind - 

• What handset do you have? 
  • Does rebooting your handset improve the connection temporarily? If you've not tried this yet, please do!
  • Have you tried popping your SIM in a different handset to see if the issue continues? If it does not, then it will more likely be a handset issue. 
  • Over the past 18 months, have you spoken with our mobile faults about this? 
  • Have you had a SIM replacement yet to try and fix it?
  • I have a link here which helps with mobile data issues, please take a look and see if it helps 👉 Mobile Data problems 

Thanks,

Megan_L

mrshift
On our wavelength

Hi Megan,

Many thanks for your reply. 🙂 To answer your questions:

• It's an iPhone 12 Pro.
  • I've restarted it several times, but not tested data speeds immediately afterwards. Will see if this makes a difference.
  • Again, haven't tested this, but will do. 
  • I don't think so, but I really should do.
  • I had a new SIM several months ago, but don't think this changed anything.
  • Thanks again - but it's not that data isn't working, it's just that it's very slow.

Think my next step will be test the SIM in another phone to see if that makes a difference.

Much appreciated. 👍

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update on this mrshift,

Do let us know if trying the SIM in another handset gives a service.

Regards,

Kain